Making A Birthday Cake And First Time With A Mould. It's Not Working!!!

Baking By LynBin69 Updated 23 Jun 2015 , 12:01am by SquirrellyCakes

LynBin69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynBin69 Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 11:53am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. This is my first post. 

I can bake with a round tin no problem, however I am trying to make my son's birthday cake and it is a disaster! 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

I am using a cake mould (Millennium Falcon from Star Wars) and a madeira sponge recipe. The recipe is for a 23 inch round tin. I just did a trial run and it seems that I had way too much mixture. The cake bloomed at the top and cracked down the middle. At the same time the edges were burnt (shallow bits sticking out of space ship). The middle was soggy and in the end I had to slice off about 25% of the cake on top (round peak) and put it back in the oven to cook the middle. 

It's a good job I am having a dummy run. I need to get this right as I have been designated to make the cake for a joint party and the other mum is relying on me.  I need it to taste good. 

Any tips?

4 replies
CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 5

Lower the temp a bit, fill the form with less batter and cook it a bit longer and cover with parchment half way though.

LynBin69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynBin69 Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you CatPoet. 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5

and put a greased and floured upside down flower nail to help evenly distribute the heat. this will help minimize the cake from "doming" too much.  good luck! 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 12:01am
post #5 of 5

To find out how much batter the pan requires fill the pan with water. Measure out the water. Use 2/3 of this amount.  This should give you a better idea of how much batter the pan requires.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%