Charging For Wedding Cake Consults

Business By leah_s Updated 22 Jun 2015 , 10:05pm by Whiteflower1

7 replies
Singerssoul Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 8

Interesting!  It would certainly deter the folks looking for the freebie and not the booking.  And If someone does not book, then your time and materials are covered.  My last three bookings were from local brides who had never had my products and ordered sight and taste unseen. My current tastings are $5 and usually involve my three most popular flavors with matching icing, usually a single cupcake of each flavor. (I usually bake extra and have them on hand for tastings).   I provide tastings to go with my wedding packet of information about ordering, basic pricing, etc.  I tend to discuss via phone or email for cake design/flavor/options.   I do not do anything but buttercream and mostly simplistic designs (Rustic frosting is so popular).  The draw of my bakery is my baked goods are no preservative or artificial anything.  

If someone wishes to try something different, I suggest they order a dozen cupcakes with their requested flavor combination.  Most people are happy to have the standard tasting and I have about an 75% booking rate from them.  Interestingly enough, of the inquiries when I do not have a tasting request, I book about 95%. Most often these are brides who are coming into the area to get married at our local wineries and a tasting is not in the cards. 

MBalaska Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 8

brilliant move on the part of that bakery in the video.  Talk about success!

Apti Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 7:25am
post #4 of 8

Now THIS stuff is fascinating!  Waaaaay better than those never ending pricing questions.

The marketing/profit side of baking is very, very intriguing.  It's also super tough which is why I happily hobby bake. 

I bow deeply to all who make a living with baked goods.

Gingerlocks Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 8

That is a great video! Here in Canada it's standard to charge for a tasting; so it's interesting to hear from someone who's business has been on both sides of charging and not charging for tastings..I think the biggest thing they are seeing is that people who are just shopping around for free cake (and I'm pretty sure that happens a lot!) just are not making that booking; they hear there is a fee and don't bother. I myself am getting married in a few months and subsequently have been reading a lot of American Wedding blogs and wedding magazines and it's shocking the number of them that actually recommend going around to a bunch of different cakeries for free cake..apparently it's a way to take time out from the stress of wedding planning and enjoy some free cake!

rychevamp Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 8

We charge a tasting fee of $25 for three choices, and increase if they want more, or if it's for more than two people. Sometimes there is a consultation during that time. The wedding coordinator generally handles them and I'm only involved if the cake is something that I should discuss with them. When I started working at this restaurant, they didn't offer tastings. Mainly because the person before me didn't like doing cakes, and used really bad commercial mixes for the ones she did.  

Since I wrote a cake menu, and they started the tastings, I end up doing a cake for  95% of the weddings we book. No one has ever had a problem with the fee, and you know they are serious about the whole thing. 

Outside of my job, I charge the same price for tastings.  

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 8

I found it interesting when she addressed the age old argument of "people in this area just won't pay it".  They initially thought the same thing .... that people in So. CHicago wouldn't pay.  But wow, look how it turned out.  :-)

Whiteflower1 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 8

One of the best decisions we ever made early on in our business was to charge for wedding cake tastings. It filtered out a lot of people just wanting to waste our time, and eat free cake( I kid you not)   Also, it helped us manage our time better since we knew that couple was serious if they would pay a $25 fee just to sit down and have us help them design a cake.we did far less consults, but 80- 90percent of the people that we did consultations with from that point on booked. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%