Fondant

Decorating By Shbabes4 Updated 21 Jun 2015 , 4:26am by kakeladi

Shbabes4 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 7

Again I am having trouble with my fondant. I used a vanilla buttercream and then covered it with my fondant. Four hours later there was a huge mushy bubble in the front of my cake. This happened to me once before. I don't know what the cause of it is but it looks horriable. Does anyone k ow what I may be doing wrong or how I can prevent this for the future?

6 replies
CoinUK Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 7

It's possible it's an air bubble, which you can get rid of by piercing it with a pin and smoothing it out. 

It's also possible it's the buttercream from the middle of the cake pushing outwards and stretching the fondant. Did you let the cake settle before you covered it in fondant?

roxylee123 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 7

Are you letting your cakes settle with a weight on them before covering. I bake the night before and leave them to rest overnight wrapped in cling film with a book on top of them.

Shbabes4 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 7

CoinUK, I actually did poke it with a pin and tried my best to smooth  it out. It did make it look better. It was an air pocket I guess but in other areas I guess it was the frosting. When I put on the fondant I had smoothed it out so I was bummed to see such a huge air pocket. 

CoinUK & roxylee123, I never thought of a cake having to settle after butter creaming it. I usually apply the buttercream and wait for it to harden for an hour but most of the time its still pretty mushy and wettish. I am going to next time give it more time. About the whole fridge. If I do put it in the fridge before fondant when I take out the cake won't the buttercream start to get damp from the temperature  change and then the moisture ruin the fondant process because from what I herd fondant once moisture hits it it begins to get messy? 

Al the help and insight is greatly appreciated!

CoinUK Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 7

I always refrigerate my cakes after putting on the crumb coat. When I take them out the buttercream tends to stick to the fondant better and helps me to cover it well. It's the slight dampness you need to help the fondant adhere to the buttercream. Unless your fondant is seriously thin, I don't think it will cause you any problems, but I'm sure the better experts here will advise more :)

Jinkies Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 1:25am
post #6 of 7

A good little trick to combat air bubbles is to poke a hole in your cake.  If you start to get those big air pockets on the side of your cake, take a wooden skewer or lolly stick and just poke it in the top of your cake all the way down. Air will take the path of least resistance and go out that hole rather then bubble up your fondant. You can always cover the hole with decoration later or patch it up with icing or fondant.

Works like a charm!

kakeladi Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 4:26am
post #7 of 7

Air pockets usually form because the undercoating isn't wet or sticky enough for the fondant to stick to.  Fondant should be added to the cake as soon as possible after adding the b'cream.  Do not let it sit to crust.  Do not put it into the frig.  (Though this seems to work for some people I never did.) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%