Help With Pricing!!

Business By nidahscakes1998 Updated 24 Jun 2015 , 5:21pm by Dee_1111

nidahscakes1998 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidahscakes1998 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 24

So I got a cake order of 50 vanilla cupcakes with fondant decor and a 2 teir hen party cake (fondant). I have no idea what to charge! Help please? !

23 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidahscakes1998 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 24

Thanks for that I just was looking for tailored advice that's all x

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 24

No one can give you "tailored" advice on what you should charge. There are many other factors at play. However,  I am curious as to how people are taking orders with no pricing guidelines already set. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 24

If you're in business you should already have your pricing firmly in place.  If you're not in business, then you shouldn't be charging at all.

nidahscakes1998 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 24

Thanks for nothing guys helped alot. I am young and people liked my creations therefore asked me to make them cakes however being new to this I needed advice. Obviously the wrong place to come. Thanks again for nothing ✌

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 24

Apti gave you numerous threads to read on this very topic that will be helpful to you. No can do the homework for you. 

Apti Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 12:31am
post #8 of 24

Don't get upset, it is true that there is absolutely no way anyone on any public forum can give you pricing advice.   This question has been asked by more than a quarter million new cakers.  EVERY new baker reaches a point where their work is good enough to earn the compliment "you should sell these!".  However, there are so many variables that each individual baker must do their own pricing.  Rather than re-invent the wheel, I provided a link that led you to 275,000+ answers to your question.  Don't get mad at the messenger.  We're not doing this to be mean--WE CAN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

"How Much Should I Charge for My Cakes?"

http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Articles/How-Much-Should-I-Charge  

Quote from article:

"This is one of the most frequently asked questions by cake decorators when they begin to sell their cakes.  The simple but frustrating answer is that no one can tell you how much you should charge.  Setting a price structure is one of the most difficult parts of any business.  As with real estate, the price of cakes varies widely by location and is largely determined by your local market.  Finding the right price point requires research of your competitors' prices, and a solid understanding of your own costs."

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 1:42am
post #9 of 24

Quote by @nidahscakes1998 on 1 hour ago

Thanks for nothing guys helped alot. I am young and people liked my creations therefore asked me to make them cakes however being new to this I needed advice. Obviously the wrong place to come. Thanks again for nothing ✌

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 2:20am
post #10 of 24

We're honestly not trying to be mean.  If you want to have a business then you have to put in the work ahead of time.  You need to do the research and the footwork and the paperwork.  Just being able to bake and decorate won't cut it. And it's not a fast process by a long shot.

If you're not planning on starting a business and you've been bitten by the caking bug and just HAVE to do beautiful cakes, then by all means, bake away.  But donate the cakes you make. 

You can't have it both ways.  You're a business or you're not.  You're a hobby baker or you're not. That's what you have to decide.  But no one can tell you what to charge because no one else knows your costs or your target market or what kind of profit you want to make. I'm sorry, but there are no shortcuts.  You can't decide to sell cakes and then come here and get others to tell you how to do it or what to charge.  That's not fair to those of us who have been baking for years and have done all the work and are running successful businesses.

If that offends you, I'm very sorry. 

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 21 Jun 2015 , 5:29am
post #11 of 24

Some folks are just so entitled.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 3:54am
post #12 of 24

50 cc and a 2 tier cake...that's a huge hen party.  

Without your tailored information of just what your designs, or tier sizes are, this is the best I can offer...

Figure out your complete ingredient & incedentals cost. Triple this. 

Figure out your overhead. Double this. 

Purchase liability insurance and operating licenses. You don't want to be held liable for sickening all those hens, when everybody knows it's the brown bottle flu. Don't charge for this, you are investing in the most important thing you can, yourself... amiright?

figure your complete time involved.  Every minute you think about this project, clock in. Pay yourself 10x minimum wage/ hour for your area. 

Add the three up.  That's your package price.  Throw in free delivery because you might just get repeat business...think wedding, and babies, and christenings, (don't forget holidays!) and on and on...this chick must throw huge parties. All. The. Time.

I haven't mentioned charging in scale with your skills, because they must already love your finishes & style because they're bypassing existing bakeries...... So no matter what that is they'll be good with what you produce.

You're young, don't apologize for it. you deserve it right?

An entitled bride to be who needs this large of a hen party needs an entitled baker.

Apti Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 4:27am
post #13 of 24

Oh good grief...... A "hen party" is something held in countries outside the USA for brides?  I thought it was a hen cake, as in chicken.  And you want members from the USA/UK/Australia/Dubai/France to give you pricing advice?    In rubles, pounds, yen, euros, or pesos?   And get upset when we don't offer tailored pricing advice?  Being young has nothing to do with common sense.

Seriously......

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 6:06am
post #14 of 24

That would be bachelorette party in the US.

nidahscakes1998 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 9:38am
post #15 of 24

Thank you Rfisher.  Really appreciate your advice. I will work on it from there! x

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 9:55am
post #16 of 24

I'm guessing sarcasm is not part of the school curriculum anymore....

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 4:00pm
post #17 of 24

^^^^^^^^^ Guess not. :-D

Whiteflower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiteflower1 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 4:25pm
post #18 of 24

If it were me, I would list out cost of ingredients then estimated time on labor. For instance, our cupcakes start at $3 each and s small 2 tier buttercream cake that serves 10 starts at $110. Fondant cakes that serve 50 would be at least $750. I know our pricing may sound shocking to some, but when the demand is there you can control pricing better. When we worked out of our house 9 years ago, we charged far less considering we needed to build our skill level. It's a tough decision. Go with your gut. Good luck! -Marianne white flower cake shoppe

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 4:30pm
post #19 of 24

Quote by @Whiteflower1 on 3 minutes ago

If it were me, I would list out cost of ingredients then estimated time on labor. For instance, our cupcakes start at $3 each and s small 2 tier buttercream cake that serves 10 starts at $110. Fondant cakes that serve 50 would be at least $750. I know our pricing may sound shocking to some, but when the demand is there you can control pricing better. When we worked out of our house 9 years ago, we charged far less considering we needed to build our skill level. It's a tough decision. Go with your gut. Good luck! -Marianne white flower cake shoppe

Not shocking, Marianne...your work is amazing.

nidahscakes1998 Posted 22 Jun 2015 , 7:38pm
post #20 of 24

Thank u marrianne

Dee_1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee_1111 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 6:19am
post #21 of 24

Nidah, I to am just starting to bring my 3d cakes out of the family unit. I know their amazing and so does my community. I live in an area of the U.S. that is very low to moderate income per year. My community could NEVER afford this prices that a 3d cake cost in other parts of the U.S.. Therefore I will not nor will I ever charge that much for a cake to the towns people who know and respect my abilities. I can not tell little Katelyn her mommy and daddy cant afford a cake from me for her birthday because they cost as much as her parents grocery bill for the month.  Nidah, my community is to small and my ability as a cake maker is based on that. I know what families can afford my talents and which ones cant --Most of my community has never even seen a real live 3D structural cake in person. But God gave me this cake thing, and I will price them accordingly. Sorry. I know this is an UNPOPULAR answer, but I love and live in my community, and will live and price accordingly.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 7:41am
post #22 of 24

So Dee_1111, if you were a car salesman, would you make sure all the townspeople had Porsches despite them being out of their budget? You're hurting everyone in the caking community with this type of pricing - not just yourself.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 12:22pm
post #23 of 24

I get the good feelings it provides to give Katelyn a cake her parents can't afford. Most people can't afford to float others, even though they might wish to, for very long. Hopefully Katelyn gets it, that this is not how the whole world will treat her, as entitled.

But seriously, when people start asking how much to charge, they are usually wanting to make money. They are looking to start putting groceries on their own table. Yes, the local market value/price is something to take into consideration.  If someone wants to start thinking like a business, if the cost of goods/overhead+ labor  + profit do not come in under what the local market is willing to pay, then it just cannot stay a business for long. Unless of course you are subsidized by a like minded soul, and that partner is on board with your mission. 

I think I'd like to find a Range Rover dealership that claimed to know which families in my community could afford its cars or not, without running a credit app. But then, no I don't think I would like to find one like that.

Dee_1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee_1111 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 5:21pm
post #24 of 24

This is American.. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%