Buttercream Help!!

Decorating By kkilhoffer Updated 20 Jun 2015 , 4:23pm by carolinecakes

kkilhoffer Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 11:51am
post #1 of 6

I have tried 5+ recipes for buttercream and have yet to find one that crusts! They've all tasted great, but they never fully crust and it's driving me bonkers!! Help!!

5 replies
cutiger Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 6

1 bag powdered sugar

1 cup Crisco

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup water or heavy cream (using cream gives it a more whipped texture, does not crust as well but delicious)

1 tsp clear vanilla, 2 tsp clear butter, 1/2 to 1 tsp almond flavorings

Mix on medium for about 5 minutes.

This is the recipe I received when taking decorating classes and better than any other I have tried.  You can adjust flavorings to suit your taste.  Adjusting the amount of water will give you the texture you need for piping, etc. 

jazmin500 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

1 bag powdered sugar 

1 bar of butter 

1/3 cup of water 

1 cup of crisco 

2 tsp vanilla or any other flavour 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

Cutiger and Jazmin500, would you mind being more specific about the size or measurement or weight of a bar of butter or a bag of powdered sugar as these can vary from country to country.

For example the phrase "bar" of butter isn't used in Canada. Powdered sugar here comes in two different sizes and is measured in kilograms as it is in other countries. So we would need to know how many ounces/pounds the bag  you are referring to is to be able to convert it. Also , how many ounces or portion of a cup a "bar" of butter is. I learned that what Americans refer to as a stick of butter is a half a cup but a bar I do not know. Thanks.

CatPoet Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 6

This is the one I prefer and it is crisco free and  you can flavour it anyway you like it.

540 gram of icing sugar

300 gram soften butter

2-4 tablespoon whole milk ( none homogenized is better)

Any flavouring you like  but if you want chocolate you need 200 gram cooled melted chocolate .

Whisk the butter for 5 minutes, this is important. Add  half the icing sugar and whisk for 2 minutes, add the rest and whisk for 2 minutes, now add the milk and flavouring and whisk  for 1-2 min.

Mine crust with in 10 minutes, not rock solid but crusty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%