Smbc Help!! Urgent!

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 20 Jun 2015 , 4:24pm by Jinkies

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 5

I have a huge batch of SMBC that I cannot get to come together. I have been doinking with it since 10:00 this morning and have tried everything I can find online to fix it and nothing is working.

It is too thin and runny. It never had the cottage cheese looking stage.

I have tried pulling some out and heating it briefly in the microwave and incorporating it back in and that did not work. That has always worked in the past.

After trying that a few times, I put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes and then re-whipped. Still too thin.

Is there anything else I can try? I really hate to throw away this much.

4 replies
lkern777 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 5

I forgot to mention that I think my egg whites might not have gotten to stiff peaks. Would that make it unfixable?

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 12:56am
post #3 of 5

Yes, I believe that would make it un-fixable.  Stiff peaks are really important.  You need to let the mixer run a long time.  When my egg whites are done, I can barely move the whisk attachment through them.

Sorry that happened, we've all been there.

lkern777 Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Jinkies. I ended up splitting the giant batch into 2 smaller batches and put them in the fridge for several hours. I had to go ahead and make a new smaller batch so I could finish my cakes.

Before I went to bed I took both mixer bowls out of the fridge and left them on the table to come to room temp for morning. This morning I put both of them back on the mixers and let them run for a few minutes. One became usable, although it is still a little thinner than I like (kind of like when you are piping and the piping bag gets warm from your hands).

The other one was still too thin to do anything with. It was creamy, not watery, but not thick enough to spread or anything.

I don't know why one would work (sort of) and the other wouldn't when they came from the same original batch.

I'm just glad to be done with those cakes. Because of the buttercream issue, 2 cakes that should have taken me a max of 3 hours total, took me all day. The past 3 weeks have been that way for me. I'm hoping having next week off will rejuvenate me because I am over it right now.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 5

I had one of those weeks myself, it happens.  I decided to go with a new recipe for strawberry cake that I've never used before.  Took me three batches to get what I needed.  What should have been done in an hour or so, dragged out over two days.  

I was so over it too, but when I delivered the cake this morning, the client teared up because she loved it so much, made the whole thing worth it.  Although... I do not have any orders for next weekend... and I'm not sad about it :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%