Square Fondant Cakes

Decorating By Azwishchicky Updated 20 Jun 2015 , 3:28pm by Azwishchicky

Azwishchicky Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 7

I've got the round cakes down. Love the upside down method for sharp fondant corners.  

I struggle with square cakes. I use wilton square pans, and when you stack 2 layers you get the middle edges on the sides leaves a ridge poking out.  Sometimes the corners are hard. I want to cut them all off! How do you trim the cake,  keeping it an 8 inch cake, and still make it look good? So you can then crumb coat and cover in fondant. ..

6 replies
Leannescakez Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 7

Hi

i would trim as you need to then place 8" card on the top and the bottom and fill In between. Once refriderated I'd remove one.

I'm still learning but I hope this helps x 

Apti Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 5:12am
post #3 of 7

It may be the Wilton square pans.  If you have these pans: 

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E314F67-475A-BAC0-59499C2FEC2F7DCC&killnav=1  

They are NOT good pans!  These pans have slightly flared edges.  Instead of having edges that are straight up and down:  l_l

These pans have flared edges:  \_/

Dumb.  

I recommend you purchase either Magic Line or Fat Daddio's square pans.

Apti Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 5:13am
post #4 of 7

p.s.  Every new baker struggles with square cakes.  They are a whole 'nother animal than round cakes.  MUCH more difficult and requires more work and more practice.

carolinecakes Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 5:25am
post #5 of 7

I agree with Apti the right pans are key. I prefer Magic Line. How does that saying go......necessity is the mother of invention. The talented Jessica Harris shows you how to do a square cake ( with clean straight edges) using a sheet pan. Genius!!! Here's the link jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/gift-box-cake-tutorial.html

Jessicakes: Gift Box Cake Tutorial. Another awesome tutorial from one of my favorite cake decorators :) And she always has such clear tutorials well!

Azwishchicky Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, i use Jessica Harris upside down method, love it. I will try the pans. Thanks!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%