"writing In Sand" On Side Of Cake

Decorating By bluenote865 Updated 19 Jun 2015 , 12:59pm by bluenote865

bluenote865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluenote865 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 12:50am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake for my daughter with a mermaid theme. The top tier is going to be buttercream coated in cake "sand" made from left over cake scraps. I would really like to "write" her name in the sand on the side of the tier. Does anyone have ideas or experience on how to do this? Thanks in advance for any advice!

5 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 1:49am
post #2 of 6

Why don't you pipe her name in royal icing on baking paper, and while it's still wet, you could sprinkle it with cake crumbs/brown sugar/whatever sand-like material you have to hand. Let it dry fully, then attach to the side of the buttercream cake. It will be neater than trying to make the name in "sand" directly on the side of the cake.

You could even make the letters from fondant and cover them in "sand" and then attach them to the cake, if you're nervous about your piping skills.

winniemog Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 1:52am
post #3 of 6

I've just realised you want to imprint her name in the "sand" coated tier! Could you make a mold to impress on the side of the cake? - you could use fondant to make the letter shape and then let it dry, and then press the letters into the freshly sanded buttercream.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 8:35am
post #4 of 6

Quote by @winniemog on 6 hours ago

I've just realised you want to imprint her name in the "sand" coated tier! Could you make a mold to impress on the side of the cake? - you could use fondant to make the letter shape and then let it dry, and then press the letters into the freshly sanded buttercream.

That is a brilliant idea winniemog, very clever.

winniemog Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 9:33am
post #5 of 6

Could you please tell my family that I'm clever - they'll never believe it!

bluenote865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluenote865 Posted 19 Jun 2015 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6

You all are the best! Thank for the ideas...I will def try the dried fondant letters as a 'stamp'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%