Heavy Wedding Cake, Is The Folding Table Strong Enough

Business By taartenmaker Updated 28 Jun 2015 , 12:45am by Pastrybaglady

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:56am
post #1 of 23

i have a wedding cake in a week which the center cake will be a 5 tier cake with a fountain. a few weeks ago i went to the venue with the couple to take a look. the venue's only has the folding tables. since the cake will have 2 side cakes on each side connected with stairs the only option is to put to of the tables together. but im really scared the folding tables arent strong enough. it are just your regular picknick tables. anybody else ever had to put their cake on a table like this

22 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 1:05am
post #2 of 23

no, no no. If the setup is the way you're describing it, you're going to be centering a five-tiered cake basically on the edges of two folding tables that are pushed together. No! I'd tell them that they need to rent a sturdy table that's long enough to accomodate the setup without having to put tables together. You're talking about a recipe for disaster otherwise.

costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 1:06am
post #3 of 23

If I got to a venue and that was what they were giving me to set a cake like that up on I would refuse to do it, Just thinking of it makes me nervous.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 23

yes I agree the tables have to be stable but 'folding picnic tables' could be anything -- if they are sturdy enough and not wobbly  you could use three together so the main cake is not straddling two tables-- often banquet tables look like hell under the tablecloths and most all of them fold -- but all that to say yes you have every reason and right to ensure a safe secure setup - put your foot down firmly and conscientiously

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 23

http://www.bunnings.com.au/marquee-vinyl-folding-card-table_p3080107

Not that ^^^ For a five tier fountain cake w/satellites

taartenmaker Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 23

thank you guys so much for your help,  

costumeczar, the groom informed me today that he cant find a sturdy table and that there's no other option. he sais the too ends of the tables wil be bind together. he ensured me no disaster will happen but he didn't watched the youtube videos of cake tables collabsing and i did watch them lol. i think its a better option to try to put the cake on just one table, but i dont know if it will fit . i am kind of desperate....

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 23

In my contract, the table (and making sure it's sturdy and leveled) is the couple's responsibility. I make sure they understand  it is their responsibility when I review the contract with them.

If it's not in your contract, have them sign a waiver or have an email from the couple confirming that they understand you do not recommend it and that it is at their own risk. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 23

^^^ Yes, please protect yourself!  It will probably be fine but take all the precautions you can.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 23
  • see if you can get three tables so the main cake is not straddling the table join --
  • put a solid tablecover on top of the tables so it makes a solid one piece topper -- like a sheet of 1/2 inch foamcore or a large cutting board (the white plastic ones come in huge sizes and don't cost much)
  • the groom is patently clueless about cake disasters unless he is a caker
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 23

the solid table cover is to be put over the  two tables to resurface the join --

those were either or suggestions

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 23

Oh hell no.

Make them sign a waiver. They are refusing to provide a proper table in spite of multiple warnings.

The waiver needs to say that you have provided them with the necessary information about the needs to the cake and that they are responsible for the cake after delivery and set-up.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 23

Oh hell no.

Make them sign a waiver. They are refusing to provide a proper table in spite of multiple warnings.

The waiver needs to say that you have provided them with the necessary information about the needs to the cake and that they are responsible for the cake after delivery and set-up.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 23

Quote by @taartenmaker on 3 hours ago

. . .  the groom informed me today that he cant find a sturdy table and that there's no other option.

Really?  Either he's lazy or an idiot or just doesn't give a flip.  At least have him get a piece of 1/2" plywood to cover the join on the tables under the tablecloth. The store will even cut it for him if it's too wide.  And be prepared to refuse to set up the cake unless it's there.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 23

but be careful plywood is really heavy -- how sturdy are the tables to begin with? 

this is silly

the venue or someone needs to get you a good strong table

are these card tables?

card tables simply will not work -- that's it

Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 23

Seriously, the venue doesn't have a banquet table? How can that be?

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 10:10pm
post #16 of 23

Ugghh,  its always so frustrating to arrive at an event to find the table is weak, or two tables butted together and they expect you to put the cake between the two, or they have a  wobbly and weak cake stand for you to place it on. Or - they want the cake displayed out in the screaming hot 95 degree weather!  I think people just don't understand the delicate and heavy these cakes are and require proper support/atmosphere - delivery is the hardest part for sure!  I have a clause in my contract that states the requirements of setting up the cake and that we won't be liable if not provided with a secure/strong/level surface to place the cake on.   

costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 23

If it was me I'd tell the groom that I will be setting the cake up on the floor if the table is rickety, because that's where it's going to end up anyway, and it might as well be upright while it's there!

They need to get a sturdy table or they need to sign multiple waivers with every dire warning you can think of.

CLW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CLW Posted 23 Jun 2015 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 23

No way! If they can't get a table that meets your specs then tell him you'll have to bring your own and their will be  charge. And not a small charge either. I'll bet he gets a table.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 2:22am
post #19 of 23

Quote by @CLW on 10 hours ago

No way! If they can't get a table that meets your specs then tell him you'll have to bring your own and their will be  charge. And not a small charge either. I'll bet he gets a table.

This!

Also tell him they will need to sign a waiver and there will be NO refund once the cake is delivered for any reason.

CLW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CLW Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 23

There not their!! I'm a teacher and incorrect use of words and spelling kills me! Hated spellchecker!! LOL

taartenmaker Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 10:32pm
post #21 of 23

IT ALL WORKED OUT! 

the couple realised they had to fix a strong table and they did

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3344469/big-wedding-cake

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 10:59pm
post #22 of 23

Wow! Beautiful cake and perfect placement!

Pastrybaglady Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 12:45am
post #23 of 23

That IS a big wedding cake!  So glad they came to their senses and listened to you.  It was great placement like jgifford said, it almost looks like the gold wall hanging is part of the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%