Decoting Buttercreame Cake With Fondant Polka Dots

Decorating By sdgal Updated 18 Jun 2015 , 4:25pm by sdgal

sdgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdgal Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:42am
post #1 of 3

I am planning to decorate MM cake for my daughters birthday. I have ordered the cake from outside as I want to be stress free. But the cake is a butter creme cake. I am planning to put fondant polka dots on both the tiers. I am wondering if I should cut the fondant polka dots in advance and let it dry for 3-4 days before i use it next weekend? Or should I cut it at the same time I want to put it on.

Last here I decorated my daughter's cake with fondant flowers and they were not sticking to the edges. They were sliding of the edges. Please advise how to prevent this from happening.

Looking forwards to all the expert advises.

Thanks!

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 1:11am
post #2 of 3

If it's a buttercream cake you can just use some more buttercream to stick the dots to it. Doing them ahead of time will be faster at decorating time, and make them easier to put on the cake, but they might not curve to the contour of the cake. Either way should be fine.

I don't quite understand what happened witht he cake last year. Were the flowers slidign off the cake completely? How big were they? Was that also a buttercream cake?

sdgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdgal Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks costumeczar for your quick response!

They flowers were not too big 2 inches big. Yes it was buttercream cake too. But I did not use buttercream to stick them. They were sliding down from the sides of the tier.

If I want to put the cake outside in sun, how long would the polka dots hold its shape before capturing moisture?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%