Can You Store Creamed Butter And Sugar?

Baking By RainbowsEnd Updated 18 Jun 2015 , 12:50am by SquirrellyCakes

RainbowsEnd Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 4

I creamed some unsalted butter and sugar before realizing I'm short the pan size I need. Can I store this and for how long? When I'm ready to use it again, how do I re-cream it? Thanks!

3 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 4

Unsalted butter has a shorter shelf life than salted.  I would refrigerate the sealed mixture for up two weeks and if using a stand mixer, I would just use the paddle attachment and mix until softened again. You don't need to bring it to room temperature  as the heat from the motor will do the trick. A lot will depend on the recipe you are making and how important a role incorporating air into a creamed mixture is to the recipe. What would you be making with it?

RainbowsEnd Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:19am
post #3 of 4

I'm making a white cake :)  I have the proper pan now. I just needed to know if it was ok to halt where I was in the recipe process. I did refrigerate the mixture, so I guess I'll at least have to soften it again like you said. Thanks for your response. :)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

I think I would beat it a few minutes to incorporate air into it. I normally  cream butter and sugar together for 8-10 minutes total to fully incorporate air into the mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%