Sps System: Cold Or Room Temp?

Decorating By DJFIT9999 Updated 20 Jun 2015 , 8:13am by leah_s

DJFIT9999 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing my first four-tiered wedding cake for my daughter. So strictly a novice but lots of cakes under my belt. 

The cake layers are 14, 12, 10, and 8. I have the SPS system purchased and the cakes are in the freezer. 

Do I put the SPS dowels into the cake when the cake is cold or let it come to room temp? I read that one person put them in cold and she had cracking. 

My timetable is: (wedding is Sat!)

Thursday: White chocolate ganache and fill with non-perishable lemon filling. Let sit in fridge overnight. 

Friday: Fondant/decorate  - Is this when I put in the SPS system? Cold or room temp?

Refrigerate for easier transport to venue (which is down a country road). 

4 replies
Annie8 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 5

I refrigerate my cakes. After they are frosted and have set up in the fridge, I apply the fondant (if necessary).  Then I'll mark the spot with the plate and then cut the legs and insert them and the plate.  Put it back in the fridge. Add the next tier...etc.  I have not ever done it to a frozen cake so am unsure of what that could do.  I don't use ganache, but I have done this with buttercream only cakes and buttercream and fondant cakes.  

A lady named Leah is on here and she is an SPS expert.  Hopefully she will chime in, too.

I haven't had cracking issues with SPS.  The only time I did have cracking was when my cake board was not sturdy enough.

DJFIT9999 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Annie8!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 12:26am
post #4 of 5

hope all goes very well -- i hope you don't have a lot (code for not any) other things to do day of except deliver -- for me it used extra energy doing for my kids

you can place sps into cold or room temp cakes

best of the best to you

leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2015 , 8:13am
post #5 of 5

Sorry to get here so late.  I've found it easier to insert the SPS plate and leg assembly into room temp cskes and before the fondant starts to set up.  Trying to push it through firm fondant can result in cracks. 

I don't refrigerate cakes - no room in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%