Torting.. Crumb Coating.. 3 Days Before Party

Decorating By cangulo Updated 18 Jun 2015 , 10:43pm by ropalma

cangulo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangulo Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 7

Party is on Saturday but I'd like to get everything done Friday night because we have company coming that day. I baked 3 layers each of 4inch, 6inch, and 8inch white cakes last night. Popped them in the freezer overnight and just pulled them out this morning. I'm getting my Agbay in the mail later today (YAY!) so that's when I'll torte them.

My question is..... how should I do this?! Should I torte, fill, and crumb coat immediately and put back into freezer? Or put in the fridge? Or leave on the counter? If I freeze or fridge how do I protect the cake from drying out or tasting like the fridge or freezer, lol. I don't want my cake to taste old come Saturday.

I'm applying fondant and decorations as well!  

Thank you guys so much!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 7

Quote by @cangulo on 3 hours ago

Party is on Saturday but I'd like to get everything done Friday night ... question is... should I torte, fill, and crumb coat immediately and put back into freezer? Or put in the fridge? Or leave on the counter? ...how do I protect the cake from drying out or tasting like the fridge or freezer...

Answer:  yes, go ahead and torte, fill & crumb coat then put in the fzr.  All they need is to be wrapped in plastic to protect them.  Once a cake is crumbed it is sealed and won't dry out :)  Since you want the cake finished tomorrow evening, take it out of the fzr in the morning to the counter -- in an hour it should be ready to finish completely.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 7

I usually bake early in the morning.  Let the cake sit out to cool all day.  At night I torte, fill and crumb coat put in the fridge for about 20 minutes.  I take it out and finish my frosting and smoothing.  I then let it sit overnight to crust.  Next day I fondant in the morning and finish my decorations at night.  I like for the fondant to settle before I decorate just in case I get an air bubble that I need to smooth out.    The only time I freeze my cake is if I bake ahead of time and I need to store them for later use.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

Letting a cake sit out on the counter all day would result in a very dry cake :(  I certainly hope you are wrapping it in plastic! 

A cake being covered in fondant should be iced with b'cream or ganashe  then covered with the fondant right away.  Letting the b'cream  crust overnight will not give you the 'wetness' needed for the fondant to stick to it. 

cangulo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangulo Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 7

Shoot! I took my cakes out of the freezer two hours ago to thaw and they are sweating! I was going to apply the fondant!

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 7

thawing should always take place in the fridge.  Going straight from freezer to countertop is a no-no, It can result in very soggy cake. Plus keep any wrapping on the cake while in the fridge.  I think if you did all the prep on Wednesday for a Saturday serving, there was no real need to refreeze the cake - it would have been fine in the fridge. Correct me If I am wrong anyone! I usually prepare on Thursday for Saturday so I'm one day short on time table and don't know for sure - just an educated guess. 

Cakes will always sweat a little, even after coming out of the fridge - its a result of the different temperatures between the  cake and the ambient temp - sweating would be ok cause you can put your fondant on it since you were using a crusting buttercream - you need a little moisture to help the fondant stick don't you? Unless, its a sopping wet mess, then that's a problem, I guess. 

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry yes I cover my cake with plastic while it is cooling down.   But ganache needs to be setup and harden and butter cream needs to crust.  True that it will not have moisture for fondant to stick so at suggestion of many in CC and videos you can lightly spritz your cake, or brushing a thing layer of shortening and in the UK  they use something like apricot preserves to make the fondant stick.  I use the Mat to roll out my fondant so when I peel off the plastic from the side that goes on the cake I use a pastry brush and lightly brush shortening on the fondant.  I have never had any problem with fondant sticking.  

I prepare like rooneygirl, on Thursday for Saturday delivery.  And yes if you get a little sweat that will give the wetness for the fondant to stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%