Wedding Cake Tastings

Decorating By littlemo12 Updated 17 Jun 2015 , 2:06pm by PattyT

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 12:12am
post #1 of 5

I am doing more cake tastings. I have just purchased a Foodsaver and was kicking around this idea ..... 

Make a several double layer 8 inch square cake and tort them. ... then fill each one with a different filling.  I would like to do a 1) Italian Cream with cream cheese icing  2) White cake with white chocolate ganache (with toasted coconut, pineapple and pecans) 3) White cake with cheesecake mousse  4) Chocolate cake with salted caramel and pecans and 5) White cake with lemon raspberry.

I would make one of each cake. Then slice them each up. Putting a  slice of each on a 8 in cardboard square. Seal the cake with the Foodsaver and freeze. I would then pull them out as needed and finish them with the icing. This way, I wouldn't have to make a batch of each of the filling each time .... time consuming and costly, plus wasteful. I would just keep american buttercream and cream cheese icing in the frig since they have a good shelf life and I have left overs from cakes I do for birthdays and other events. 

How do yall handle your cake tastings ? 

Holly 

4 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 12:23am
post #2 of 5

Be careful when removing the air using the foodsaver...

taking out too much will squish your cake flat and I do not think it will spring back...

littlemo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemo12 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 12:30am
post #3 of 5

I got the foodsaver that you can override the air removal .... the sales person suggested that when I told her what I would be using it for.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry littlemo12, I'd have to agree with AAtKT.  I have a Food Saver and in order to pull enough air out to keep it fresh - even with the override - it will squish the cake.  When I want to use it with steaks, chicken, burger patties etc., I freeze the item on a tray till it's hard enough to handle the "squeeze", then use the Food Saver.  Same with fruits - strawberries, raspberries etc.  Freeze on a tray, bag, seal.

You'd be better off freezing individual items quickly, wrapping the individual pieces in plastic wrap, then put all the pieces into a resealable plastic container.  Then take what you need out of the container on the day.

Other than using it to seal up cookie doughs and things that weren't delicate, the only time I had any luck with baking and the Food Saver was when I sent some Christmas baking to my brother and sister.  I wrapped the items carefully, put them into a plastic container with cushioning (because they were being shipped), THEN used a big Food Saver bag around the entire container.  It really squished the container, but it was sturdy enough to hold.  Family said the items arrived pretty fresh.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 5

Oh...and p.s.  I just participated in another thread where we talked about saving leftover fondant and gumpaste in Food Saver bags.  It's very good and handy for that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%