How Much Frosting?

Decorating By starrie_night Updated 16 Jun 2015 , 1:10am by mccantsbakes

starrie_night Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrie_night Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 5

Hello!!  I am going to be making a 3 tired cake in a few weeks and am wondering how to figure out how much buttercream frosting I may need.  I will be traveling and making the frosting at my sisters house and I am just trying to figure out how much stuff i need to take with me.  I know silly question...but this is my 1st 3 tired cake and I am starting to stress a little.  lol

The cake sizes will be 8, 10 and 12 and have 2 full layers of cake.  I don't know if there is a calculator to give an idea of how much or if you all just know how much you need.  I will take an ideas or suggestions you may have!!!

Thanks so much!!

4 replies
mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 12:00am
post #2 of 5

starrie-night,

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

Start here.  This is a good guide for deciding how much frosting you'll need depending on the size of each tier.  I'm still new to this, too.  When I make frosting I always make one batch more than the guide says to, so that I'm sure I'll have enough.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 12:16am
post #3 of 5

According to the chart in the book "The Whimsical Bakehouse" (by Kaye and Liv Hansen)

you would need (I am assuming it's a round tiered cake)

8" - 1 1/2 cups icing for ring and crumb coat + 1/12 cups for final coat

10" - 2 1/4-2 1/2 cups for ring and crumb coat + 2 1/2 cups final coat

12" - 3 cups ring and crumb coat + 3 cups final coat

This would add up to approx 14 cups of icing based on their chart.   

again, this is based on a round shape and also approx.  Are you filling with the buttercream also?  I think this chart is based on having a filling other than buttercream (there is a column on the chart for how much filling also)

if you want filling amounts They are:

8"  3 cups

10" 5 cups 

12"  6 cups

(this sounds like a LOT of filling to me, but it's what the chart says)

this is also based on the cake being 3 layers, but I am couldn't find anywhere in the book where they mentioned total layer height. (If that makes sense)

personally, I would ere on the side of more icing than not enough,especially if you are on the road baking and just displaced from your normal baking groove.

starrie_night Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrie_night Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

I totally forgot to mention they will be square cakes and will be filled with buttercream.  Lol, so stressed I forgot to mention that.   I've only done 2 tiered cakes and this is my 1st 3 tired, thank goodness it's only family!

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 16 Jun 2015 , 1:10am
post #5 of 5

You will do just fine.  Can't wait to see what you create! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%