Additional Trans Fat Ban In Us

Decorating By melmar02 Updated 18 Jun 2015 , 1:23pm by melmar02

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 12

I just saw on the news that the US is looking at extending the ban on trans fats to include all processed foods. I'm sure hi-ratio shortening will be on the chopping block soon. Guess it's time to start experimenting with recipes again!

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 12

There's always meringue buttercreams... I also have a recipe for confectioner's sugar buttercream that uses only butter and is pretty stable heat-wise. I think it's basically the same fat to sugar ratio but it has 2Tbsp meringue powder for each pound of sugar. I'd have to check to be sure about that.

melmar02 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 12

I'll have to be careful with meringues. I'm a home baker in Texas, so I can't sell anything requiring refrigeration. A modified or hybrid recipe perhaps? 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 12

Meringue buttercreams do not require refrigeration. The egg whites are cooked during the process of making the icing.

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 12

I use butter for cupcakes, cakes, etc, but do use crisco/shortening in some things as my "secret ingredient" in some frostings and fillings.  What am I going to do?!  Having a mild panic attack over here.  Do you think the companies can change their products in the next 3 years in ways that would make it legal?   

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 12

I use butter and hi-ratio shortening in my meringue buttercream.  Isn’t it possible that the ban may cause some companies to go belly-up.  If sweetex( not sure what other items the company makes) is going to be the same as Crisco, why on earth would anyone buy sweetex.

cake_goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_goddess Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 12

Melmar, I am in Texas as well. Under Texas cottage food laws, we can make Swiss meringue buttercream, but not Italian meringue buttercream. Hope this helps.

melmar02 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 12

Stephsweetreats - Crisco and other shortenings found at grocery stores removed transfats a few years ago. Your icing recipe probably won't be affected because it's already not in the shortening. :)

Quote by @stephsweetreats on 3 hours ago

I use butter for cupcakes, cakes, etc, but do use crisco/shortening in some things as my "secret ingredient" in some frostings and fillings.  What am I going to do?!  Having a mild panic attack over here.  Do you think the companies can change their products in the next 3 years in ways that would make it legal?   

melmar02 Posted 17 Jun 2015 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 12

Cake goddess - are you using a hybrid? I tried smbc with no extra powdered sugar, but it did not hold up well for me in our 100 degree heat and I had huge bulging issues on my test cakes.  I also couldn't pipe a rose with it to save my life it was so soft. Thankfully I have a group of people who aren't sick of recipe test runs!

Quote by @cake_goddess on 1 hour ago

Melmar, I am in Texas as well. Under Texas cottage food laws, we can make Swiss meringue buttercream, but not Italian meringue buttercream. Hope this helps.

cake_goddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_goddess Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 3:21am
post #10 of 12

I do use only butter and no powdered sugar until summer and then I add 1/3 high ratio to2/3 butter, if I am doing a buttercream cake.  I usually use ganache under my fondant unless they specify buttercream.

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 9:32am
post #11 of 12

Melmar02 I read that too, but after looking at the new law that passed I swear they were saying that this one was to specifically attack "fake" fat-partially hydrogenated oils.  Which would be Crisco.  I'm not sure if I just misunderstood (fingers crossed!) or if it will be gone in three years. 

Quote by @melmar02 on 9 hours ago

Stephsweetreats - Crisco and other shortenings found at grocery stores removed transfats a few years ago. Your icing recipe probably won't be affected because it's already not in the shortening. :)

melmar02 Posted 18 Jun 2015 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the info Cakegoddess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%