Storing Mm Fondant For About A Week?

Baking By Emmo Updated 15 Jun 2015 , 9:09pm by Jinkies

Emmo Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 9

I'm baking two cakes one week right after another- while in the middle of lots of family events... I know I can make the fondant for both at the same time and store the leftover fondant to use on the second cake, right? 

What are your best tips for storing marshmallow fondant?

8 replies
ceeselena Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 9

Personally, the best is to roll the fondant into a ball, give a small coat or shortening, and then store in a Ziploc bag or Saran wrap. Keep it at room temperature, and whenever you need it, warm it up it the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, then knead and use. :) Hope this helps.

Jinkies Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 9

Quote by @ceeselena on 38 minutes ago

Personally, the best is to roll the fondant into a ball, give a small coat or shortening, and then store in a Ziploc bag or Saran wrap. Keep it at room temperature, and whenever you need it, warm it up it the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, then knead and use. :) Hope this helps.

Yuppers ^

Emmo Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 9

awesome, thanks!!

geekycakes Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 9

I have kept it in the fridge for months.

Either way, though, my recommendation is "wrap it like your life depended on it."

PattyT Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 9

Agree with all previous posters, but would like to add that if you have one of those vacuum-sealer machines (Food Saver for example), it's a great way to store. 

You can drop fondant or gumpaste directly into one of the bags and seal, or if you want, a quick tight wrap with plastic wrap and then seal.  I'll often use the plastic wrap first if I'm storing small amounts of leftover colors from a project.  Wrap each individually, then seal all in a single vacuum bag. 

Jinkies Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 9

Quote by @PattyT on 1 hour ago

Agree with all previous posters, but would like to add that if you have one of those vacuum-sealer machines (Food Saver for example), it's a great way to store. 

You can drop fondant or gumpaste directly into one of the bags and seal, or if you want, a quick tight wrap with plastic wrap and then seal.  I'll often use the plastic wrap first if I'm storing small amounts of leftover colors from a project.  Wrap each individually, then seal all in a single vacuum bag. 

Brilliant idea!  And, I have one of those....why didn't I think of that??  Thank you!!!

PattyT Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 9

You're very welcome.

Another reason I will wrap with plastic wrap, is that it keeps the Food Saver bag cleaner and I can re-use it to save $$.  When you unseal the Food Saver bag, cut close to the top seal.  Take out and use what you need.  If you still have leftovers, or you just took out one from an "assorted" bag, the smaller amount will still fit in the FS bag.  Just reseal! 

Jinkies Posted 15 Jun 2015 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 9

Great idea, I'm definitely gonna start doing that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%