Domino's Confectioners Powdered Sugar Bitter Metallic Taste???

Sugar Work By Brennn Updated 24 Jun 2015 , 2:52pm by remnant3333

Brennn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brennn Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 5:26am
post #1 of 2

TASTE TEST your sugar BEFORE you use it! Can anyone explain why my powdered sugar is bitter with strong metallic aftertaste? Yes, I know confectioners and "powdered" are redundant-just included both keywords to invite participation. I just used Domino's pure cane confectioners sugar and RUINED my buttercream filling. I threw it out after making it with two ingredients: salted organic butter and organic vanilla from a new bottle and still had metallic taste in mouth hours later (after brushing).

The damage would have been far worse had I not licked the frosting spoon before filling from scratch oreo cookies! I have encountered same problem with my cream cheese frosting on multiple occasions, but only now traced it to sugar by tasting powdered sugar alone. Exp date on 1 lb box is Feb 2016 and it was opened end of March.

I contacted Dominos customer service and received reply that powdered sugar is susceptible to absorbing odors if not stored properly sealed. That is not the problem--I have absolutely experienced this with newly unzippered bagged powdered sugar as well.

BTW-I purchased Domino's to avoid unwittingly using GMO beet sugar. I have previously been unsuccessful using blender to powder granulated sugar, but did not add cornstarch or arrowroot. Can anyone help?

1 reply
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 2

All name brands now make almost everything in China or overseas. They have no inspectors. I have said it long ago that China could easily poison all food since they make most of our foods. It is pretty scary. Ronald Reagan is the one who started the world trade organization. It was a sad day for America when they started this!!

I suggest you change brand names and try Dixie Crystals brand. I use it and have never had any issues like you are describing!! Good luck!! It is frustrating wasting  all your money on products that make you have to throw away all your  butter and vanilla. We all know how expensive these are. Sorry that you are having these problems!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%