Nuttelex Buttercream Keeps Separating.. Help!!

Decorating By EmmaCake Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 10:16am by winniemog

EmmaCake Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 4:24am
post #1 of 4

So I'm making a dairy free cake and need a dairy free buttercream to go under fondant.  I was told that replacing butter with Nuttelex will be fine but my buttercream keeps separating.. what can I use instead, or are their alternatives to buttercream that are dairy free?

3 replies
winniemog Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 6:48am
post #2 of 4

I haven't had an issue with replacing butter with Nuttelex. I've made SMBC, ABC and a hybrid and they've all been fine, no separation.

What's your recipe? When does it separate?

EmmaCake Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 7:08am
post #3 of 4

My recipe is 125gm nuttelex, 1 1/2 cups icing sugar and 1 tbl spn milk (using zimmil) it is separating when adding the 2nd half of the icing sugar? I did also try without the milk but same thing happened :-(

winniemog Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 10:16am
post #4 of 4

For ABC like you are making, I use double the weight of fat in icing sugar eg 250g butter to 500g icing sugar. You seem to be using less sugar to fat than I do.

I really don't know why your mix is separating - what are you seeing exactly? - is a liquid splitting from the fat (maybe over beaten?) or is the icing sugar not being absorbed? Are you using the Nuttelex fridge-cold - maybe try leaving it to room temp first? I've never had issue with an ABC, it's such a forgiving medium. Hopefully someone has experienced this and can help out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%