Rolling Pin Recommendations

Baking By pilotbaby Updated 13 Jun 2015 , 12:46am by SquirrellyCakes

pilotbaby Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 13

Can anyone recommend a rolling pin that allows you to adjust the width of your cookies for rolling sugar cookies?  I found only one on  Amazon but it has a lot of mixed reviews.  Just wondering what options are out there or where I should be looking?

12 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 13

Did you mean to say you want one that you can adjust for depth?  I Just bought and used both the large and small Wilton rolling pins and used them a couple of days ago for rolling fondant to three various thicknesses.  They both worked great, didn't stick at all either.  Price was right too and I  got them at

Walmart.

I know a lot of people here don't like Wilton products but I have always been pleased with most of them.

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 1:24am
post #3 of 13

I like that rolling pin too... and just a coupon at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Joann's.

craftybanana2 Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 2:11am
post #4 of 13

I use a regular ol' large wooden one, and if I really want my cookies the same thickness, I use wooden dowels. I put the rolling pin on the dowels and roll away.

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 2:33am
post #5 of 13

^^^ using the free paint stir sticks from Home Depot, especially the long ones for the 5 gallon buckets works great for the "side rails" too. 

Apti Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 2:43am
post #6 of 13

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 6 minutes ago

^^^ using the free paint stir sticks from Home Depot, especially the long ones for the 5 gallon buckets works great for the "side rails" too. 

That's what I use.

I roll out the dough directly on my Wilton 14x20 cookie sheet with the raised rim at the back and put the sticks on either side to get the correct thickness.  Then I use my cookie cutters and pull away the left-over dough.

Apti Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 2:46am
post #7 of 13

Oh, duh, the original question..... (no edit button!)

I use whatever rolling pin I can find.  An old wooden one, a large Wilton fondant one, basically whatever I can find first gets used.  No difference.   (I've even used a Ragu jar in a pinch....)

pilotbaby Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 11:38am
post #8 of 13

Can you use the fondant one for sugar cookies?  I have a fondant one and it is really tiny- the sugar cookies would be way too thin.  I'm sure they make other sizes but just curious?  TIA

pilotbaby Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 11:38am
post #9 of 13

Oh, and yes depth:)

Apti Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 13

Wilton makes a larger fondant rolling pin:

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 13

Quote by @Apti on 4 hours ago

here is a "fancy" version of the dowels and paint stir sticks mentioned above: 

http://www.amazon.com/Country-Kitchen-SweetArt-Perfection-Strips/dp/B0006B4H5C

^^^ lol. Love those paint stirred at the Depot. 

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 13

oops... crazy font size. *stir sticks"

SquirrellyCakes Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 12:46am
post #13 of 13

Just adding that the two Wilton ones I just got have the three sizes of rings that you can use on the pin to get a consistent depth. The rings go on both ends and are different thicknesses.  The pins work well on fondant and cookie dough.  Piecrust too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%