Fondant Decorations On Smbc?

Decorating By Jinkies Updated 11 Jun 2015 , 11:51pm by Jinkies

Jinkies Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 5

I have a client who would like a SMBC cake with fondant circle decorations.  I don't usually do all buttercream cakes.  My worry is that as the buttercream comes to room temp or out in the warm weather, the circles will slide down the cake.  The search I did keeps coming up with crusting buttercream which doesn't help me.  And, she does not want ABC.

I'm wondering if I rolled the fondant super thin if that would help (so they weren't so heavy).

I did tell her that if the party was outside in the heat, I would suggest fondant, but I haven't heard back from her yet and she was pretty adamant about no fondant to begin with.

Am I overthinking this?

4 replies
mccantsbakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 5

I do fondant decorations on SMB all the time.   Never have had any issue.   My cakes have never been stuck out in the heat either.  

Perhaps if being outside in the hot is her preference, you should forward her this public service announcement :)

Jinkies Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 5

Haha! Thanks!  Do you use anything to adhere them?  I'm thinking the moisture in the bc is enough?

mccantsbakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 5

If my buttercream is still room temp and tacky to touch I stick them straight on.  If it is super cold, I use a little water.

Jinkies Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks a bunch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%