Strange Feedback/criticism

Lounge By reginaherrin Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 5:00pm by reginaherrin

reginaherrin Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 11

I had a customer pick up their cake on Tuesday and today she emailed me back with feedback/criticism I have never heard before.  The cake was an 8" square orange dreamsicle, which is an orange cake with white chocolate filling.  She loved how it looked so had not problems with that but she said the cake was tender (which I have no idea what she means) and was ok but the orange flavor was not very distinct and there was not enough filling.  I do 2 layers of cake and 1 layer of filling which is usually about 1/2 thick or so (give or take) and have never had a customer complain about that.  She also said I should think about offering delivery as there was issues with pickup for a few reasons (her exact words).  I told her I do offer delivery and I really wanted to know what the problems she had with pickup so if I could I would fix the problems.  She never told me what the problems were and said I never mentioned delivery.  It is on my website and most people either know bakeries deliver or just ask.  I don't know why I would have to make sure I mentioned it to her.  The last problem she had which is what is confusing me the most, is she said her biggest problem is that I did not thank her.  I told her I did not understand why I would have to thank her.  I do make sure all I am engaging to all my customers, as nice and polite as possible, make sure they found me okay and to have a good day.  Yes I appreciate all my customers but why would she be so upset about not being thanked for placing an order with me.  I don't remember ever being thanked for ordering products or buying merchandise.  In fact, I normally thank the person helping me, not the other way around.  But regardless, why be so mad about that.  I worked in retail for about 10 years and did a lot of training of new employees and never had to make sure every employee thanked the customer.  I was just a bit confused about the whole thing and wanted to share.

10 replies
Webake2gether Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 11

Fishing for a refund is my guess on it. That is probably the most bizarre "complaint" I've ever heard. I do thank people (they are friends and family) for thinking of us to do their cake. I don't think it's weird to thank someone for doing  business with you but I do find very odd for someone to be upset and put in a complaint bc they didn't receive a thank you.

Just a side note I'm becoming more and more unsure of pursuing a baking business bc I don't know if I want to deal with the kind of people that seem to be plaguing so many of you on here lately. What a nightmare some people can be :( Sorry this happened to you. 

kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 11

Her biggest complaint was that you did not thank her?!?  Wow.  Customers are getting weird.  So much so, that I'm glad I no longer make cakes for the public :)

I agree w/the other poster - sounds like this lady is fishing for a refund.  DON'T GIVE ANY! 

Sounds to me like you did everything right and nothing wrong.

jgifford Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 11

She felt she was doing you a favor by ordering her cake from you and you should be appropriately grateful.  After all, without her order, you would probably have to close your doors.

Jinkies Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 11

What's wrong with tender?  Sounds good to me.

I'm with Webakes, all these complaints are scaring the bejesus outa' me.  I am pretty much booked through June and I don't think I'll have any hair left by the 4th of July.

Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 11

First of all tender cake is a good thing, it was soft as opposed to dry and hard.  The issues with pick up are probably her own, like she has better things to do... She sounds a bit eccentric and spoiled and of course you, the simple hired hand should be grateful she deigned to cross your doorstep with her resplendence. 

Webake2gether Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 12:02am
post #7 of 11

Quote by @Jinkies on 1 hour ago

What's wrong with tender?  Sounds good to me.

I'm with Webakes, all these complaints are scaring the bejesus outa' me.  I am pretty much booked through June and I don't think I'll have any hair left by the 4th of July.

Hang in there!!! Just remember to have a back bone and don't let people walk on you!! Thankfully my husband will back me up if I need help dealing with people :) so far we've had no problems but I'm sure there will be one eventually. 

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 1:22am
post #8 of 11

Some people are never satisfied. You provide a good, tasty cake as ordered and they just keep on bitchin'...... Diva? Oh, and while you are at it, kiss my ring!

oftheeicing Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 5:16am
post #9 of 11

I agree that her complaints are totally not valid, and with the way the world is today, I am sure she was looking for some sort of refund. While I probably would have taken offense to the comment about not giving her thanks, I personally always thank my customers, because it is my belief that they are my bread and butter, and without them, I would not be in business.  the cashiers at the grocery store always thanks me for shopping at Wegmans, and my stylist thanks me when I leabe the salon.

Jedi Knight Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 11

Some folks are so entitled.

reginaherrin Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 11

I definitely have a backbone and proud of it.  I was going to respond to her second email but I have decided to let it go and not keep the conversation going.  I do think she was trolling for a refund but sorry those excused do not register one in my book.  Working in retail, primarily at the register dealing with customers all the time and being in a managers position has helped me learn to deal with difficult customers.  In the 7+ years I have been doing cakes I have had maybe a handful of complaints, most trying to get a refund and about stupid minor design elements and never once have I had anyone complain about the cake taste itself which I think is great.  I have never given a refund but have a few time given free cupcakes which I am totally okay with since they don't cost much in time or money.  Thanks for all your insights, I thought it was just me.  BTW I do thank a lot of customers I just don't feel it is a must.  Again, I don't ever remember being thanked for ordering or buying something. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%