Details Not Drying - Tips?

Decorating By SweetShop5 Updated 23 Jul 2015 , 8:51pm by SweetShop5

SweetShop5 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone!

So I've made a 2D figure for a graduation cake thats for Saturday night. I completed it yesterday morning and put it on sponges to dry. Its been pretty hot lately but it doesn't feel too humid in the house. Clearly I was wrong. The figure didn't dry ONE BIT. It feels like I just made it. I left it in the basement over night but that didn't make a difference. I need this to dry as fast as possible because its supposed to be standing up on the cake, (its one of the exploding cake designs) and the figure is popping out.

Does anyone have any tips to make this dry faster? I have already thought of alternatives on the design if it doesn't actually dry. Luckily this is for a friend of mine and she's getting it for free so I don't think she will mind if the design is different. 

14 replies
SweetShop5 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 15

I can't edit my post. But here is the figure: http://i.imgur.com/VUkMoZr.jpg

carolinecakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 15

When I do my gumpaste flowers or plaques and I need them in a rush, I put them in the oven with the oven light on and close the door. I read about this somewhere cant remember where. Works nicely, just put a note on the door so no one puts on the oven accidentally. HTH

carolinecakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 15

Forgot to add, I put them on a cookie sheet. The heat from the light bulb is enough to dry out the figures without causing damage. Saw your figure she is soooo cute.

SweetShop5 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 15

Quote by @carolinecakes on 3 minutes ago

Forgot to add, I put them on a cookie sheet. The heat from the light bulb is enough to dry out the figures without causing damage. Saw your figure she is soooo cute.

Wow thanks for the tip! I'm definitely trying this. Do you put it directly on the cookie sheet or on sponges and then the cookie sheet?

bakeforfun21 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 15

Put it in the oven with the oven light on. Don't turn the oven on. Leave it until it dries. It works for me every time.

SweetShop5 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 15

Quote by @bakeforfun21 on 1 minute ago

Put it in the oven with the oven light on. Don't turn the oven on. Leave it until it dries. It works for me every time.

I just put it in. Hopefully this works! Do you know around how much time it takes to dry? 

bakeforfun21 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 15

It varies. For me it usually takes a few hours depending on how much tylose I add to my fondant. 

Quote by @SweetShop5 on 19 seconds ago

Quote by @bakeforfun21 on 1 minute ago

I just put it in. Hopefully this works! Do you know around how much time it takes to dry? 

SweetShop5 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 15

Quote by @bakeforfun21 on 24 seconds ago

It varies. For me it usually takes a few hours depending on how much tylose I add to my fondant. 

Perfect, thanks!

carolinecakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 15

I place them directly on the cookie sheet. As to how long it takes to dry, depends on size and thickness of pieces, and the Tylose/ fondant ratio. Just keep checking it every couple of hours. 

johnson6ofus Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 3:06pm
post #11 of 15

I like parchment un it...just in case

johnson6ofus Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 15

*under*

julia1812 Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 10:56am
post #13 of 15

Quote by @carolinecakes on 20 hours ago

That's what I do too

SandraDee73 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 15

So glad I came across this post. I was starting to panic after two days and my 2D stand up is still a bit soft. 

Will try the oven light thing this evening.

Super cute figure SweetShop5! How did this method work out for you?

SweetShop5 Posted 23 Jul 2015 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 15

@SandraDee73 Thank you!! The oven light method worked out great for me! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%