Bacon Recipe

Baking By bakeforfun21 Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 1:13pm by CatPoet

bakeforfun21 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a good cupcake recipe that involves bacon? I want to enter a competition and I want to do a salted caramel and maple bacon cupcake? I'm thinking to do my basic chocolate cupcake but substitute the oil for bacon grease and add a salted caramel filling but then I have no clue what to do for icing. Maybe I can switch the filling for a salted caramel frosting. Any suggestions? 

5 replies
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 6

Decorate the cupcakes with candied bacon bits? Chocolate and bacon flavors seem go well. Betty Crocker has a maple bacon cake recipe. Saw a bacon-bourbon frosting too: https://www.google.com/search?q=bacon+cake&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

imagenthatnj Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure if bacon is on this list, but there's a thread with gourmet cake flavors and you might get ideas from it. I saw someone put a link to the recipes on page 214 of the thread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/614554/help-gourmet-flavors

jgifford Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 6

We serve both of these flavors in our restaurant.  In fact, they're requested more than anything except red velvet.

For the maple bacon, I use my regular yellow cake recipe and add crumbled bacon to the batter.  I add either maple flavoring or maple syrup to my vanilla buttercream and sprinkle the top with bacon crumbles. 

For the salted caramel, I use a vanilla cake recipe and add caramel flavoring.  It's covered with plain vanilla buttercream and sprinkled with ice cream salt and drizzled with caramel syrup.

As far as putting the two together, I think it would be a little much for one cupcake.  Although I could be wrong.  I know it's hard to believe, but it has happened before. 

oftheeicing Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 5:28am
post #5 of 6

What I do with all of my recipes is take my base cakes (chocolate or vanilla) amd tweak them to get the flavors that I want.  For my french toast maple bacon cake, I start with my vanilla recipe add cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg and replace the vanilla with maple extract.  Everything I do is tested and by trial and error. Fortunately have not experienced much error because I add 1/8 tsp at a time and taste the batter until I get the taste that I am looking for. I also fold some crisped bacon imto the batter that I have finely chopped just prior to baking.

CatPoet Posted 12 Jun 2015 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 6

My oldest daughter loves peanut butter muffins with bacon. I ask her tonight for the recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%