Wedding Cake Serving Guide For Number Of Servings?

Business By ADDBaker Updated 11 Jun 2015 , 6:48pm by MKC

ADDBaker Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:35am
post #1 of 8

I've always heard that you should never plan for cake to feed everyone at a wedding...not everyone wants/like cake - maybe they have allergies, are on a diet, or are too busy dancing (that would be me *cough, cough*).

Recently, someone said that for a wedding with 200 expected guests, you should plan on cake for 150, as an example.

I'm wondering if anyone has a rule of thumb that they go by and suggest to brides? I had a bride ask me for my suggestion regarding this today at a consult and I honestly didn't know what to tell her. Her wedding is going to be 150, so I said 100-125 (I did tell her I wasn't sure...I'd rather have a little extra than not enough!)

So, what do you tell brides (or anyone with a large event cake)? Or do you stay out of the equation and have them dictate how many servings they "need"? TIA

7 replies
bakernoob Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 7:32am
post #2 of 8

I've hear 80% will eat cake for any occasion. I don't know if that is what everyone follows but it's what I do and hasn't failed me yet. HTH :-)

ADDBaker Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 9:18am
post #3 of 8

I read that today, too, on a bakery's website out of Chicago (I can't remember which one). That seems kind of high to me, which is partly why I'm reaching out here. I'll be curious what all the "East Coasters" have to say about it in the morning! 

MKC Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 8

It mostly depends on a couple of things:

- when the cake will be served. If it's late (eg.: 10 pm) then I suggest 70 to 80%. A lot of people have either left (older people or families with small children) or are not hungry anymore.

- will there be other desserts. If it's not the only dessert, again I suggest 70 to 80%.

ADDBaker Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 8

MKC - what if it is the only dessert?

i did a cake a few weeks ago like that but there was also a big dinner lol

leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 8

It also depends on how it will be served.  If the caterer cuts it and sets the plates out for people to pick up then 75% is plenty.  If servers deliver a plate of cake to each person at the end of the meal (AS IT SHOULD BE) then you need a serving of cake for every person who rsvp'd.

The percentages are based on rsvps not invitees.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 8

MKC Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

If it's the only dessert and it's served close to the end of the meal then I assume that everyone will want a piece.  

I also cut the cake from the bottom up (largest tier to the smallest). Once I'm at the top tier, if everyone was served, I wrap it and leave it for the bride/groom. If I'm not cutting the cake, I ask the kitchen to follow the same process.  

The bride/groom love this idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%