My Cupcakes Keep Drying Out.

Baking By bakeforfun21 Updated 14 Jun 2015 , 1:46am by MBalaska

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 12:48am
post #1 of 11

When I bake them they come out moist. If they are eaten within two hours of baking they are fine. But if they sit longer than that they get a little dry. Nothing too bad but they just aren't appetizing anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

10 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 1:23am
post #2 of 11

Cupcakes dry out faster than cake... more surface area exposed to air...

Do you ice to the edge of the liner?

What kind of liners do you use?

Could you be over-baking them slightly?

My cupcakes are good for at least two days before they get that "dry" feeling...

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 1:36am
post #3 of 11

My guess is you're over baking them or storing them in the refrigerator not sealed. Try checking them 5 minutes before you would normally take them out.

Also, some pans cook faster than others too, my new cupcake pan does that, even though it's aluminum. It's a very shiny pan so I have to lower the temp by 25F degrees or they overcook, I still bake for around the same amount of time, maybe +2 minutes, but not much.

bakeforfun21 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 1:43am
post #4 of 11

I hadn't considered that. I will lower the temp next time and see if that helps. Thank you.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 2:24am
post #5 of 11

Frost the few you plan to eat immediately and put the others in a ziplock and freeze.  Pull them out as you need them and frost.  You will find the ones that were frozen to be moister than the one that were not.

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 3:39am
post #6 of 11

I take my cupcakes directly from the oven and let cool for a couple minutes on a rack...then I transfer them to a large Tupperware container that fits 24 side by side.  They finish cooling in that with the lid on. They retain the moisture from the heat that is let off creating a humid space.   I store them in the fridge before icing if more than 24 hrs. 

When I go to ice them, they are super moist...I usually let them sit with the lid off for a few minutes before icing them.  After they are iced, the lid goes back on until they are displayed for the event or what not.

I would only do this if the cupcakes will be consumed within a day or so though, warm moist spaces could be  breeding grounds for bacteria if left out on the counter for several days.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 5:19am
post #7 of 11

foil liners also help seal in moisture better than paper ones. 

bakeforfun21 Posted 11 Jun 2015 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you all so much. I am making another batch tonight. I will dry these tips.

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 11

I let my cupcakes cool for maybe 5 minutes on a rack then I carefully remove them from the pan and wrap each one individually in glad wrap while still warm. I let them cool completely on a rack this way before frosting them. This has made my cupcakes stay nice and moist. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 11

I bake a whole bunch in glassine cupcake liners (purchased at Smart & Final stores on the West Coast USA), then when they are cool, I put them in the freezer on a cookie tray with heavy duty aluminum foil over the top, OR in plastic clamshell ( 1/2 doz or 1 doz clamshells)

and put them in the freezer.  I can frost/decorate while still cold/frozen.  They taste great.

I strongly recommend that you don't use paper liners.   They not only have a muddied color, but they don't retain the moisture as well and they pull off more cake when the liner is peeled away.

Here's an example of glassine on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/Glassine-Baking-Cups-Standard-Count/dp/B0049IC56G 

Shop online for the lowest possible price!  Cupcake liner pricing can be triple for the same exact item.  Shop wisely.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 1:46am
post #11 of 11

Cupcakes can be brushed with simple syrup, just like regular cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%