Pricing Question...

Business By AmberDSouthard Updated 10 Jun 2015 , 11:55am by AmberDSouthard

AmberDSouthard Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 8

Hello! I am just starting out selling my cakes and I haven't quite got the pricing thing down yet. I am making a Frozen themed cake and will be needing to purchase snowflake cookie cutters. Is this something I should include in the clients cost or should I purchase these out of pocket? Thanks!

7 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 8

Equipment purchases that you know you will use again for other clients or your own purposes I would not pass on to the client.  That would be a business expenditure that I would handle at tax time.  If it was a super specialized piece that I knew I would never use for anyone else, THAT I would pass on to the client (after telling them about it) and give it to them afterwards.  Just my thoughts, I'm sure others handle it differently.

AmberDSouthard Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 8

That's what I was thinking but my husband told me to charge the client. I think it would be best to only charge them for what they are keeping like you said. Thank you!

johnson6ofus Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 8
  • ebay has them cheap if you have time to wait...
AmberDSouthard Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 8

I do have time so I will definitely check out ebay. Thank you!

810whitechoc Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 7:41am
post #7 of 8

Do not charge the client.  

You should have factored into the cost of all cakes a percentage for covering growth of your business and maintenance/repairs/replacement of your current equipment.

AmberDSouthard Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 11:55am
post #8 of 8

Awesome! Thank you all!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%