Liquid Egg Whites

Baking By Soniabean Updated 9 Jun 2015 , 11:00pm by mccantsbakes

Soniabean Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

Are the liquid egg whites you find in a carton in the refrigerated section of the supermarket ok for SMBC?  I read the packaging and it says it is not good for meringues, SMBC does not need the meringue in the same way that Angel Food cake does but I don't want to wast my money buying them if they don't work.  I was thinking about buying some from BJs or Costco since the prices are better. I would like to stop wasting the yolks.  I can only make so much custard and curds.  Anyone have any experience or preferred brand?  Thanks in advance :)

Sonia

7 replies
mccantsbakes Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 8

Read this...... I have made the recipe and it is identical to the fresh egg version

http://thecakeblog.com/2014/06/no-meringue-swiss-buttercream-recipe.html

Soniabean Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 3:20am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for sharing! I will give it a try.

810whitechoc Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 8

I use pasteurised egg white for SMBC and IMBC, the only issue I have had is you don't get quite as much volume whipped up. I can live with that rather than separate all those eggs and then find something to do with the left over yolks. 

me_me1 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 8

I use the liquid egg whites in cartons all the time for my SMBC.  Works a treat for me!  Here in Aus I use Puregg.  Hope that helps.   :)

Soniabean Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks you both :)

theresaf Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks Mccantsbakes for that link.  I only recently subscribed to the cake blog so I hadn't seen this.  I use my egg yolks for vanilla ice cream but I don't make volumes of either buttercream or ice cream weekly.  (Though my husband would love volumes of ice cream weekly!!)

T

mccantsbakes Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @theresaf on 42 minutes ago

Thanks Mccantsbakes for that link.  I only recently subscribed to the cake blog so I hadn't seen this.  I use my egg yolks for vanilla ice cream but I don't make volumes of either buttercream or ice cream weekly.  (Though my husband would love volumes of ice cream weekly!!)

T

That was my issue too, not being able to keep up with the copious amounts of egg yolks and it just felt too indulgent to throw them away.   In CA where I am, our eggs just rose in price substantially due to new cage laws for laying hens so that also nudged me to look for a different option for the SMB.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%