I Need Help! Stenciling On Buttercream ...... Argh!

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 10 Jun 2015 , 5:13pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 12

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/143270831873636966/

I'm doing this wedding cake for this weekend.  I've made a 10" "dummy" cake and have been practicing the stencil technique for hours!  I cannot get the stencil to go on the cake without  it either bleeding through or pulling off with the stencil.  I'm pretty sure it pulls off when my medium is too thick.  

My cake is frosted very smooth with crusting buttercream.  I have it in the fridge at all times until it comes out to be stenciled.  Yes, it's warm here, but the ac is on in the house.

I've tried stenciling with thinned and regular consistency buttercream and also with thinned royal icing.  I've looked everywhere on the net and here on CC for tutorials and tips on how to do this.  Can anyone give me an ideas on how to make this work????  It looks so easy!!!  What am I doing wrong????

Thank you for any help!

Christina

11 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 12

You could lightly hold the stencil next to the cake, mark the design with a scribe or toothpick, then hand-pipe over the design.

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 12

pastrypet,

Thank you.  Yes, I've thought that I could do that as a last resort.  When I get nervous, my hands shake really bad, so I'm really hoping not to have to hand pipe it all!!!!

:-)

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 12

pastrypet,

Thank you.  Yes, I've thought that I could do that as a last resort.  When I get nervous, my hands shake really bad, so I'm really hoping not to have to hand pipe it all!!!!

:-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 5:12am
post #5 of 12

Use a piece of tulle between the stencil and the cake.  The icing goes thru the tulle so it stays in place when you remove the stencil and tulle 

mrsmac888 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 12

kakeladi,

Thank you for your reply.  Does it matter how fine the tulle is?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 12

What is tulle?

mrsmac888 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 12

remnant,

Tulle is the material that bridal veils are made of.  You will also see it under a little girl's dress to make it stand out.

mrsmac888 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 12

I tried the tulle, maybe I'm not doing it right, but it didn't work either.

What if I stenciled the pattern onto a piece of parchment paper and then transferred it to the cake?  Would the transfer need to be room temp as well as the cake, or should the both be cold?????

Surely there are more people on CC that do stenciling onto cakes....anyone.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 2:34am
post #10 of 12

Not sure why you are having so much trouble if you are using crusting b'cream.  How long did you let it set up before trying to stencil? 

If you try the parchment paper transfer I would freeze the transfer for an hour or so before putting it on the cake.  The cake does not need to be cold to accept the transfer.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 3:32am
post #11 of 12

Quote by @kakeladi on 53 minutes ago

Not sure why you are having so much trouble if you are using crusting b'cream.  How long did you let it set up before trying to stencil? 

If you try the parchment paper transfer I would freeze the transfer for an hour or so before putting it on the cake.  The cake does not need to be cold to accept the transfer.

Could it be that if you need the buttercream crusted for it to work properly that putting it in the fridge is stopping it from crusting properly? That is more of a question than an answer.

mrsmac888 Posted 10 Jun 2015 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 12

Success!!!!  I'm am totally doing the happy dance!  I put the cake in the fridge for an hour, did the stencil on a piece of parchment paper, took the cake out of the fridge.  Then applied the stenciled parchment to the cake.  Rubbed it lightly with my hand and put it back in the fridge parchment and all, for another hour.  Took the cake out and as I removed the parchment, I ran my small offset spatula along the outside of the paper to make the stencil stay on the cake.  The stencil stayed on the cake almost completely!  Then I piped over the stencil with royal icing.  I didn't really want to have to pipe it,  but I looks awesome!!!

Thank you all for the suggestions.  This had me SO worried that I wasn't going to get it accomplished!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%