Chocolate Frosting Under Fondant

Baking By Ann1028 Updated 9 Jun 2015 , 11:55am by Ann1028

Ann1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ann1028 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all! I am looking for a chocolate frosting recipe that can be put under fondant. I always do buttercream frosting. However my son has requested a chocolate frosting with a Mario theme cake. Can I do brown frosting under light blue fondant? And what kind of frosting can I adhere the fondant to? I've read some are too moist and the fondant slips... Thanks in advance!!!

11 replies
SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 12

Any buttercream can be put under fondant. I'm not sure if the brown would darken the light blue fondant though, since fondant is typically rolled thin. The only thing I can think of is to use chocolate flavoring in your white buttercream? Or you could do a white chocolate ganache. Fondant will adhere to ganache (which can be chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, etc). Another option, if you have an airbrush kit, you can use white fondant and then spray the cake light blue. 

Ann1028 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for your reply sandradee! I have never used a chocolate flavoring. Do you have to decrease the amount of sugar/butter? How much do you or in?

I think everyone is sick of buttercream and want something else. Any suggestions to go with chocolate cake?

SandraDee73 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 12

I was thinking of the LorAnn flavorings. I use their emulsions and they're great. Here's the link to the page with the chocolate flavor.

http://shop.lorannoils.com/shop-all-products/super-strength-flavors/1-dram-size

How about chocolate ganache under the fondant? It's super easy to make and tastes super yummy.  You can whip it if you want and it goes on just like buttercream.

SandraDee73 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 12

I've seen others on CC post about this place. I hear they'll send samples.

http://www.amoretti.com/home

Ann1028 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 12

I don't have time to order the flavorings but they sure look interesting! I'll look into it for next time. Thanks!

I looked up chocolate ganache, can it sit out on the counter? Or does it need to be refrigerated after covering with fondant?

What happened to the 5 stars and number of people who saved a recipe? I always went by that to know if a recipe was liked. I so badly want to try something new but am nervous to have it sitting for a couple days! 

leannrr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannrr Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 12:33am
post #7 of 12

I use chocolate butter cream under my fondant all the time.  No problems discoloring fondant at all.  The only tricky part is if chocolate comes out the bottom a bit, it can get messy.  Just be careful not to get on hands etc. and rub on fondant by accident.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 1:10am
post #8 of 12

Use chocolate ganache (best choice) or chocolate buttercream, or canned chocolate frosting (ie CK, Duncan Heinz or Betty Crocker) or chocolate smbc (yum).

Brown chocolate does not show under white or blue fondant if rolled to 3mm or thicker, so all good there.  

Chocolate ganache can sit at room temperature for easily a month under fondant.  I cover the cake, set it hard in the fridge then fondant away and never return the cake to the fridge after that.    Sometimes, I have the cake ganached many days prior to covering in fondant.  It's used 80% of the time for all cakes in Australia (we hate ABC).

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 1:30am
post #9 of 12

chocoalate frosting under fondant works just fine.  I use chocolate SMBC or ganache routinely,  as mentioned above, don't make the fondant too thin.  Another option is to use white chocolate ganache under the fondant, and regular chocolate butter cream between the layers.  

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 2:26am
post #10 of 12

I almost always use chocolate buttercream or SMBC or chocolate ganache under fondant (even light colored fondant). Like others said, just be careful you don't accidentally smear some frosting on the outside of your fondant. 

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 2:26am
post #11 of 12

I almost always use chocolate buttercream or SMBC or chocolate ganache under fondant (even light colored fondant). Like others said, just be careful you don't accidentally smear some frosting on the outside of your fondant. 

Ann1028 Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 11:55am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much!!!!  My son will be thrilled. Now to find a chocolate buttercream or ganache to get started :)  Appreciate all the feed back! Happy baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%