Graduation Hat

Decorating By ehhicks Updated 9 Jun 2015 , 5:09am by kakeladi

ehhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ehhicks Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a graduation cake this weekend. What is the best way to make the top of the cap so that it is straight and holds its shape?

Thanks!

5 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 6

I'm working on a grad cap as well!  Either use cardboard and cover in fondant.  Or, straight gumpaste and make sure you leave plenty of time for drying.  Good luck!

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 6

Liz Larson on youtube shows how to do it out of candy melts also. I made the motar board last week, out of mmf with tylose powder. It is for Wednesday. I'll let you know if it holds up. It is for my son (not a customer) so at least I'll know for future reference on how it holds up.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 6

I just delivered one this weekend.  I made it from fondant mixed with cornstarch, let it dry for a week and did not place the cap on the cake until it was in it's final resting place.  That part is easy, it's the tassel that was giving me fits.  The grad I was making it for had three colors in it and they kept wanting to break.  I felt the tassel had to be made at the last minute so it would be soft and drape nicely.  That was no fun!

TicTac521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TicTac521 Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

I did one last year made from fondant with tyclose powder...I made it a week before and only put it on the morning I needed to deliver. I also put it on a baking sheet and placed it in the oven with just the oven light on, it warned it up enough to help harden faster

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2015 , 5:09am
post #6 of 6

One other choice not already mentioned is to use a cookie or graham crackers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%