(Australian) Dairy Free Base For Under Fondant!!

Decorating By EmmaCake Updated 14 Jun 2015 , 9:23am by Magic Mouthfuls

EmmaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmaCake Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 3

Hi CC Peeps,

I am from Australia and I have a request for a 2 tier cake that is dairy free. The cake itself is no drama, but I am stuck as to what sort of buttercream/ganache to use as a base under the fondant. Normally I would use chocolate ganache but as I have no substitute for the cream I can't use it, and with a dairy free based buttercream I won't get the same firm result.

So my question is, is there a good and nice tasting dairy free base I can use under my fondant? Keep in mind I am in Australia and will be limited to products only available here.

Cheers,

Em x

2 replies
drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 1:11am
post #2 of 3

If you don't mind the taste of coconut milk, you can make chocolate ganache with coconut milk. I have yet to try it, but I know a friend who uses it for vegan cakes. In sure if you Google "vegan chocolate ganache," you can find a recipe. 

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 9:23am
post #3 of 3

You can make chocolate buttercream (ABC or SMBC or IMBC) using a vegetable shortening - ie crisco or alternative you can buy from online cake supplies stores in Australia.  It will taste different, and have a gluggy mouthfeel, but will be dairy free.  

You can also use Betty Crocker and Duncan Heinz choc frosting (from Woolies/Coles cake aisle) under fondant very successfully - just frost and set hard in fridge before applying fondant, then you can leave it out of fridge for ages.  Duncan Heinz is definately dairy free, I think Betty Crocker is too.  CK make a dairy free ready-made buttercream - also available from Australian cake decorating supply stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%