Help With A Cake

Baking By ComeSerenity Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 8:53pm by Magda_MI

ComeSerenity Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 1:03am
post #1 of 10

I am completely new to this site and the art of cake decorating. So as you can imagine I have a multitude of questions. And yes, I have done TONS of Googling but each time I find an answer to one question I come up with 10 more. So I just decided to make an account on here and see if any of you lovely people could help me out. 

Okay, so I am relatively new to using fondant and gel food colors. I have only ever made ONE cake using store bought fondant and the fondant just tasted so nasty. I don't want to repeat that again. My sons first birthday is coming up in the next couple months and I've decided that I want to make his cake myself, what I have in mind is pretty simple. 

So my questions are as follows;

1) Is there a particular type of cake that is best when you're using fondant? 

2) As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of store bought fondant, I've been looking into some homemade recipes, are there and REALLY good ones any of you might recommend?

3) Can anyone direct me towards a chart about mixing colors into the fondant?

4) Ive seen in most of the fondant recipes that shortening is used, could that be substituted with butter or coconut oil?

5) Any tips for a newbie?

Thank you in advance,

9 replies
suzied Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:34am
post #2 of 10

From my recollection only a minimal amount of veg. shortening is used, mostly to stop it sticking on to utensils, fingers etc.

I use satin ice. i like it.  i also make marshmallow fondant. tastes good.  You can use it it on pound cakes, chocolate, mud, fruit not sure of sponge - because i have never made a sponge cake.

try googling for a chart re; colours i got mine from google. its trial and error.  you will learn along the way - thats how i did. i would be no where if not for the help from other CCers. 

MelaMang75 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 5:10am
post #3 of 10

I make my own marshmallow fondant in my mixer with the dough hook.  (Kitchenaid) here's my exact recipe:

1-16 oz bag of Jett puff marshmallows

melt for 1 min. Full power in the microwave add

2 1/4 T water and stir

return to microwave for 1 more minute stir again.  

Rub a good amount (1/4 c or less, I don't measure) all over the bottom of your bowl.  Add

2 lb bag of powdered sugar

pour marshmallows on top and attach bowl to your mixer and attach dough hook.  Use the lowest setting. 

While its kneading, add

1 tsp clear vanilla

1 tsp clear butter flavoring

knead until ball is formed.  If your mixer seems to be struggling in any way, add 1/4 tsp of water at a time until the ball starts to form.  Wrap in plastic wrap and wait until it's cool to use it.  You can refrigerate it and use later, but it will need to come back to room temp

MelaMang75 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 5:11am
post #4 of 10

Oops!  A good amount of shortening that is!  

ComeSerenity Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 5:34am
post #5 of 10

Thank you!

Goreti Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 10:14am
post #6 of 10

I usually use this recipe:  It really tastes great.  People that don't usually eat fondant have told me that they loved it.  I usually add a flavor that compliments the cake flavors.

Even though you do mix in some store bought fondant, it still tastes great and I find it gives you a better finish on the cake.  As far as coloring, this may be of help:

bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 10

You can find my favorite recipe here and it is so much easier to use and make than MMF. Use the recipe posted by costumeczar. 

Jinkies Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 10

I second the artisancakecompany recipe. Vegetable shortening is your friend in cake artistry.

You don't really need a chart for colors.  As long as you have the basic pack of Wilton gel, you can make any color- works just like paint.  Just add little bits at a time and remember the colors tend to darken as they sit so color your fondant days ahead of use so you can adjust the color if needed.

You can put fondant over pretty much anything.  I have covered sponge cakes as well as chiffon cakes (simply because I was a beginner and didn't know any better) and they were fine...I did have a good layer of chilled buttercream on them before I covered them.  The main thing is that you build the cakes properly.  Carved/3d cakes are different, you really should have a sturdier cake for those.

Only tip I have is practice practice practice.  What works great for some is terrible for others.  I learned by watching hours and hours of youtube tutorials and trying everything and reading here.   There is no one correct way to do something. Eventually, you'll come up with the ways that work for you.  The great thing about cake decorating is it never gets boring, there is always something else you can learn.  

ComeSerenity Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you guys so much!

I plan to make a few small tester cakes between now and then to test out different recipes, but opinions are always welcome.

Magda_MI Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 10

BTW, if it was Wilton fondant you tried, it's the worst tasting fondant out there.  Any of the other brands are much better.  I've used Satin Ice, Fondariffic, and ChocoPan, and they were all much tastier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%