Cottage Food Laws & Flea Markets

Business By SweetCharm Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 10:02pm by SweetCharm

SweetCharm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCharm Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hello! I just recently started my home bakery, operating under the Ohio cottage food law. I am past the dead line for our local farmer's market. However we have a pretty big event that attracts a lot of people. It's an Ox Roast/Flea Market put on by our local fire department. I understand a flea market may not be the most ideal place to sell but I feel like I really want to take the chance and am eager to get myself out there.

My question is, does anyone know if you are allowed to sell at a flea market under the Ohio cottage laws or if you have to get some extra licensing or if there are more complex requirements to meet. Thanks so much!

Sam

4 replies
Teezerts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teezerts Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

I was under the understanding that the only events you could set up at under cottage food laws would me farmers markets.  But if you are not sure you can always call the health department to make sure.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 5

yes I agree  with teezerts -- plus there are so many other local regulations -- you're better off calling in

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 5

Here is some particular information regarding the Ohio Cottage Food Laws:

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/foodsafety/docs/cottage_Food_Rules_final6-09.pdf

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/foodsafety/docs/CottageFoodOperation-factsheet.pdf

The second link actually has information as to where food made under the law can be sold...

Also, in Ohio it is only $10 and an inspection for the license which will also allow you to produce more/different products than without...

SweetCharm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCharm Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome! Thank you all so much! I very much appreciate the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%