Filling Ideas

Baking By Emmo Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 3:31pm by julia1812

Emmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmo Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 5

So, I'm NOT a professional but like to make cakes for fun.  I have two 60th birthdays coming up two weekends in a row- and both weekends involve trips out of town where the celebrations will be- therefore I will be busy with planning and packing my family as well. So, planning ahead, I think I will bake similar cakes (with different decorations) .. bake all the cakes at once- with the same batter (a couple of weeks ahead??)- freeze, and make the fondant at the same time as well (?)... Then finish them each the week before the parties/trips out of town. 

Do you think that will work?  Trying to minimize the time spent on them... 

Second question...  I want to make chocolate cakes, fruity filling, white buttercream crumb coat and white fondant... will that be ok?

Third question... I want a fruit filling- last time I did a  jam, it soaked into the cake and I didn't like the way it turned out...  Is there a good brand of jam or filling that doesn't do this or a trick to it?

Thank you!!

4 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:35am
post #2 of 5

I always put buttercream icing on top of each cake layer than I  add the fruit filling on top of the icing. This protects the cake from being soaked. Maybe others here can give better advice seeing as how I only do cakes as a hobby.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 5

Do you mean you finish the cake a week before I'll be served? Personally I find that way too long. Rather bake, fill, frost, decorate and freeze. Or freeze the cake without deco and thaw and finish the day before.

I reduce fruits and thicken with corn starch. It won't soak the cake that way.

In order to have a nice fondant finish (no bumps) and to make it stick properly, you wanna use more frosting than  you would for a crumb coat.

Emmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmo Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 5

Oh no, lol, I meant freeze the bare cakes and then defrost and do the rest the day before we leave.

Yea, idk why I said crumb coat, I normally do a full layer of buttercream...

hmm, ok, is the whole fruit reduction thing time consuming?

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 5

Ok, lol. Got it!

No, not time consuming at all. But very effective. If I do strawberries just as an example, I puree them, deseed most of the time, broil then simmer until reduced with vanilla sugar and in the end I add a small amount of corn starch (dissolved on a tsp of lemon juice or water).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%