Anyone Going To Cake Sugar Show In Orlando?

Lounge By sewsugarqueen Updated 28 Aug 2015 , 10:09pm by LeanneW

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone planning on going to dawn's American Cake and Sugar show?  What do you think of setup so far?  I booked a hotel as soon as I found out dates but have to say I am slightly disappointed in the seminar/ group choices.  Beginning to wonder how well it will go as the registration info for classes was way after January and just saw an ad for people to showcase their work for the fashion show?? Shouldn't this have been done way ahead?   I am hoping to see some cake people I met from a few previous events I went to .  So will this be a bust???

6 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 14 Jun 2015 , 10:30am
post #2 of 7

Yes we are going to the show in September in Orlando!!!!

It is sponsored by Satin Ice.  I am so excited!

I think it will be awesome.  This is an international event, from the former white house pastry chef to cake boss,  Mich Turner, and Ron Ben Israel.  Go to cakefair.com

It is going to be so much fun.  I am closing my store that weekend.  Some of my crew are joining me there!

I wouldn't miss this.  

martatru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martatru Posted 3 Jul 2015 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 7

Delightful cakes by Marta , yes we are going , hope to learn new stuff and buy lots of decorating supply.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 26 Jul 2015 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 7

We are going. I live in the area, and have attended classes sponsored by Satin Ice thru I.C.E.S. & they have generally been very well attended to sold out. So I expect the show will be very well attended, as well. Booths are pricey! $2,500 for basic 10' square. But the Convention Center is beautiful. HUGE but beautiful. And the weather in September should be just about ideal. Bring comfortable shoes.....See you there!

NatAct Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatAct Posted 31 Jul 2015 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 7

Seeing the original post I was a bit nervous. I'm coming over from Australia to attend the show.
I've already booked into a couple of demos and a class. I'm currently thinking about the Fashion Show but I'm "on the fence" about it, the applications to participate in the fashion show only closed recently and they were public applications. Being open to anyone to apply worried me, especially with the ticket price being high.

I did ask on their Facebook page if they had any further information about the fashion show as their website just suggested applying to participate in the fashion show and now a list of those who applied. There is still no information about what paying guests should expect. I asked if food/drink was included in the ticket price or would it be available to purchase. Their response was:

"The cocktail party will be held after the show. The attire is business casual and there will be a bar with many drink options and plenty of hors d'oeuvres. For more information about the fashion show and the designers, you can visit this link:http://cakefair.com/features/sugar-arts-fashion-show/ Looking forward to seeing you there"

From this I'm worried its not a cocktail party like we would have here, at cocktail parties here the attire is cocktail ware or semi formal through formal ware. Here cocktail parties include drinks (soft drinks, juice, water, house liquors) and finger foods. From there response I'm still unsure if these are additional purchase items.

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 24 Aug 2015 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

Based on the wording in the cocktail party description, it sounds like it's a pay per drink, but don't know for certain. I was in the convention center area last weekend and every little thing cost extra.  Regarding attire, I'm sad to say that people go to the symphony and the opera in shorts in central Florida along side people in gowns and tuxedos.  There's a mix of locals & visitors, so it's hard to say who's wearing what, but rarely do people go semi / formal, unless "black tie" is specified. But there are always people who enjoy dressing for the evening, so if you are comfortable doing dressy, you'll be a star. I'd say go for it. 

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 28 Aug 2015 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 7

So excited to hear about you all attending the show. Be sure to come by the Cake Central booth to meet Jackie and I!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/824306/meet-us-in-orlando-at-the-americas-cake-sugarcraft-fair

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%