Friday Night Cake Club For 6/5/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 3:58pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 17

Opening up another FNCC! Hope everyone had a great week! Everyone, and all levels, are welcome here to share photos of their work, talk about their weeks, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

16 replies
catlharper Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 17

Hi everyone,

Last night was the last one of baseball for Fridays. They have one or two more games in the championship but that's Monday/Tuesday. Last night was also our oldest daughters birthday!! So busy day in our household. The only cake I made this week is a Soda Pop Cake. I don't know if you've ever made these but it's basically a box of mix and a can of soda. I made the chocolate cake/Coca Cola cake. Really quick and easy to do for family when they are craving cake. Just mix the two ingredients together, pop in a 325 oven and bake about 30-40 mins. Drizzle some glaze on it or melt some chocolate chips on top because it's too sweet of a cake to have regular icing on. Still yummy!

It's getting HOT in Northern California now. By Monday it will be over 100 degrees. I can't complain too much because the heat has been slow in arriving this year (normally we are in the 90's by mid May and we were in the 70's) but man..I hate the heat of Sacramento and can't wait to move to the coast.

Unfortunately our move has been delayed. The home we want is a "short sale" and the bank is taking forever. We were warned it could be up to 3 months so here we wait. Oh, and 3 months is just waiting to see if they will take our offer! UGH. But inventory is SO low that we are stuck. Our oldest daughter is trying to rent a home in that area and we'd just stay with her while waiting but the rental inventory is also very low and she hasn't been able to find anything either. So we wait. In the heat. UGH.

Hope everyone had a great week, am looking forward to lots of wonderful photos of some really great cakes!

Cat

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 17

No cake from me this week, still recovering from last weeks wedding cake! :)

I did make my first ever Vienesse Whirls though, and they were delicious :D

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10177934_10153553037838646_3567095581963225921_n.jpg?oh=55588dc080b5273c7504c97055275982&oe=5633B478

catlharper Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 17

@CoinUk Oh my, those look YUMMY! What is the filling?

Cat

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 17

Just a simple ABC and strawberry jam. Best thing with these is pretty much any filling would work. Think I might do a hazlenut ganache next time!

I was pleased at how well they turned out, although they are pretty easy to do. They really did crumble and melt in the mouth though :)

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 17

Hi Cat.

My husband and I bought a short sale.  It did indeed take forever to close, and it was a yes/no/yes/no situation with the bank until finally it was ours.  

We got it at a great price, though!  The only drawback were there several things the owners couldn't afford to fix, so they did a "patch" job…but over time we are fixing things.  We also had to have the entire inside of the home painted.

catlharper Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 17

@CoinUK YUM!!! Looks like they would just melt in the mouth!

@Norasmom2 VERY frustrating. I'm trying to be more Zen about it but we are living with boxes all around us and this move will take us to cooler weather and a better lifestyle that will cost a lot less money and make our lives easier...so this hurry up and wait stuff is driving us nuts. You'd think that the bank would want to get rid of inventory that's not making them any money, right? Nope, apparently not. SIGH.

Cat

CatPoet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatPoet Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 17

I think I need a hug.

My week has been as  bit more hectic  and of course when I need  my body to work, which it doesn't do, it went worse. So I been  trying to bake, cook and clean for my  husband , neighbour  and friends birthday party, while limping and wobbling.

I made a strawberry cake, an almond cake  and  4 tiers  of my Boston Black out cake because I got a horrible feeling something was wrong with one of the layers.  Well  I was right , it crumbled to a moist dust when I picked it up.

I  to turn the   rest of  Boston cake to  pinata cake for my  husband, manage to decorate it even if the kid ate key parts of the decorations.  

I manage to frost and fill the  strawberry cake with strawberry frosting and  pipe white chocolate butter cream on the outside  how ever half way through the shakes came back and the cake looks like it made by a old grand ma and not a 40 year old.   The almond cake got filled with  lemon curd but it  didnt get the piped decoration, I couldnt steady my arm any more . It just got whipped cream and jellied fruit on the side and then  I piped my neighbours  name on top.

I get so upset I cant any more, I want but the body doesnt.

My friends hugged me and said the cakes did look good and I post them here tomorrow, they are on my system camera,

And the dinner was simple and every one loved it and it was a good night in the end.

Oh well soon time for bed,  my whole body is sore but the soul is a bit happier.

catlharper Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 17

Awww.... @CatPoe Happy to give you a (((HUG))).  Days like this is why I retired from doing this as a business in December. After breaking my hand 18 mos ago I never fully recovered...it hurts for days after a cake and it takes me twice as long to do anything on the cake before the shakes set in. It's a horrible, frustrating thing!  It took me awhile after the dr told me that 60% of normal was the best I was ever going to recover before I admitted my caking career was over.  I hope whatever you are going through is temporary but, if not, then I hope you can find a way to still do what you love on a more limited basis.

Cat

CatPoet Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 17

No it is chronic and they say  I can work 5% if I want to have life and not just sleep when I am home.  Yeah  I am going to bed  now and I be out of action for a  few days, well as much as I can with a 3 year old.

catlharper Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 17

@CatPoet It's a bitter pill to swallow. I went back to an old career, my photography, where the stress on my hands is a lot less. It was hard for me to walk away from such a promising, and growing, career. So cuddle with that 3 year old and do what you can whenever you can. We'll still be here to hang out with (cake or no cake week) every Friday and Saturday!

Cat

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:52am
post #12 of 17

Busy week for me again! The cookies I had to decorate went really well *phew* LOL! 

Here's the first 100 cookies (nautical themed and airplanes):

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3342367/nautical-and-airplane-sugar-cookies

Then I made 40 sugar cookies for a baby shower:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3342546/baby-shower-sugar-cookies

24 watermelon themed cupcakes (I am absolutely IN LOVE with these!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3342548/watermelon-cupcakes

and finally a cake for a confirmation tomorrow:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3342643/confirmation-cake

@CatPoet I am so sorry to hear about that :( *hug* I can't imagine how you must feel. 

@catlharper boy has it been hot here as well! It's been around 30-35 degrees almost every day since May. We get a few days where the temperature drops in the low 20's but most of the time its really hot. We had a pretty brutal winter so it does feel good LOL

catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:59am
post #13 of 17

@SweetShop5 When you told us about it I felt tired just reading it...now looking at them I'm tired again..you deserve a Spa Day! LOL! I'm also in love with the tiny watermelons! SO cute! Everything is totally adorable! 

Stay as cool as you can! 

Cat

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 4:59am
post #14 of 17

Hey guys! Wow you guys have been busy. I just had one cake this week. A frozen themed cake for my God child. Next week I am super busy...I have a 3 tier frozen themed cake, 40 cake pops, and 25 marshmellow pops to make for my daughters party. Here is the cake I made this week. 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3342598/frozen-birthday-cake

catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 5:16am
post #15 of 17

@SoniaMT I love the use of the snowflakes behind the name letters! How cute!!! I bet she just loved it.  Sounds like you will be "frozen'd" out by next Friday! LOL! Good luck with your daughters party prep!

Cat

CatPoet Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 7:01am
post #16 of 17

Well I got out of bed this morning...  2 hours after every one else.   But I got up and that to me is positive.   Now we are just waiting for my camera to behave so I can transfer my photos on to  the main computer. My daughter is eating cake for second breakfast, I think she is a hobbit.  Yesterday she refused cake and  ate  tomatoes instead.  She is a odd one  but I love her.

catlharper Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 17

LOL...love that she ate cake today but yesterday she at tomatoes instead! That's a 3 year old for you! 

Have a lovely, restful day and we look forward to the photos when you can get them up to the site.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%