What Filling To Use For Kid Bday

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 8 Jun 2015 , 9:11pm by Soniabean

SoniaMT Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 15

Hey guys...I'm making a cake for my daughters birthday. She is going to be 4. At that age I know how picky kids are on food. I'm trying to stay away from fruit fillings or anything crazy. I want to keep it simple but yet tasty. What are some fillings you guys have done for kids that go well with a chocolate cake and vanilla cake. Thanks! 

14 replies
Apti Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 15

Use the same chocolate or vanilla frosting on the inside for "filling" that you use on the outside of the cake.

Jinkies Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 15

Cookies and cream.  Add crushed oreos to the buttercream.

mccantsbakes Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 15

Quote by @Jinkies on 28 minutes ago

Cookies and cream.  Add crushed oreos to the buttercream.

I was gonna say the SAME thing! 

Cookies and cream is AH-MAAAYZING

For an alternative to the buttercream version, Try adding the cookies into stabilized whipped cream sometime for a less sweet version that tastes identical to a cookie dipped in milk.   SO good!!! 

SoniaMT Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks yes I wanted to do cookies and cream with whipped cream instead of BC because my chocolate cake is pretty rich in taste so I wanted a good balance. Buy the only problem is I will not be able to refrigerate it after the cake is decorated so for about 16 hours it will be left out before eaten. I'm not sure if that's possible with whipped cream?? If I were to use a chocolate pudding  filling is that safe out of the fridge for 16 hours or so? And do the jello boxed pudding mix work with cake fillings or is there a recipe for pudding that would be better? 

mccantsbakes Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 15

Hmmmmmm........aren't there some shelf stable whipped cream icing products out there?    I could swear I have heard of some, but couldn't vouch for one myself.    I think grocery stores use a whipped cream icing that can sit out.....I wonder what they use and would they sell you some? 

16 hrs is a long time for something to sit out that would need to be refrigerated.  (Cream)  personally I wouldn't do it for food safety reasons.   I think puddings would also need to be cold as well for food safety since milk is their main added liquid.  Below are a couple things I came across when searching for shelf stable whipped cream icing. 

CatPoet Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 9:15pm
post #7 of 15

No whipped cream is not a good idea to have sitting out for  16 hours.  Trust me, Swedes normally frost cakes with that and cakes  that has been left of too long dries out, coagulate , sours and isnt food safe. 

Why cant you frost it  just before?  

I do that,  my whipped cream is never older then 2 hours in the fridge before my guest gets it, just to get the best flavour of it.

How warm is it  where you are?  I just wonder most things wont be food safe 16 hours in room temp in summer, unless you have my  "summer" weather.

remnant3333 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:41am
post #8 of 15

Kids love it when I do chocolate cake with peanut butter buttercream icing. I have left this out and it does fine. I left mine out as it took probably three days before it was eaten up. It still tasted fresh. 

remnant3333 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:43am
post #9 of 15

Of course I left it in my house under a glass cake plate and I always have a/c going full blast since I love my a/c.  

SoniaMT Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 4:52am
post #10 of 15

@catpoet I live in california Los Angeles so the weather here is pretty cool at night but can get warm during the day. My Ac is pretty much set on 73 in the house. I will not be able to do the icing last minute because I will be covering with fondant and doing pretty detailed decorations. I was hoping to bake fill and ice Thursday night. Refrigerate it till Friday mid day when I will have a chance to cover with fondant and decorate. Party is at noon on saturday. 

@remnant3333 that sounds yummy. I love peanut butter. However we have kids that are highly allergic to peanuts that are going to be at the party so I am staying away from all nuts! 

I'm leaning towards chocolate ganache filling and icing for the chocolate cake and oreo BC for the vanilla cake. I can leave chocolate ganache out right??

mccantsbakes Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 5:03am
post #11 of 15

Your schedule for prep sounds good.    Why can't you refrigerate it after being decorated?  Will the cake be too large? Personally, what I would do if I wanted to be done that long before a party, would be refrigerate the completed cake until right before delivery or maybe a bit before so that I can plan for the cake to come to room temp before they serve it.  (Sometimes that is a guessing game in itself!)  I also live in CA, so I can relate to the warm days and cool nights!  

Ganache can be left out no issues... just make sure your ratio of cream to chocolate is one that will not be too soft at room temp.   (I have made that mistake...ooops) 

SoniaMT Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 5:11am
post #12 of 15

@maccantbakes I would like to keep it in the refrigerator but I will have no room once it's built...the ratio I was thinking to use is 2:1 for the ganache...is that ok? And out of curiosity about how much chocolate would be needed to cover and fill a 10 inch and 6 inch cake? 

CatPoet Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 6:53am
post #13 of 15

Just because  a cake taste fresh doesnt always mean it is, yes I have  had a  course in the very strict  Swedish food safety laws. 

But chocolate ganache is a better option, it does  hold  and so does  cookie crumb fudge. 

According to Martha Stewart  you need  1 3/4 cup to fill and 2 cups to frost. 

julia1812 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:16pm
post #14 of 15

I would keep it simple, chocolate fudge filling maybe or flavored ambc.

Make a fun hidden surprise with smarties. That always has a wow effect with kids, especially if the outside of the cake wasn't too fancy...

Soniabean Posted 8 Jun 2015 , 9:11pm
post #15 of 15

I add crushed oreo cookies to swiss meringue buttercream which is very stable.  I think that is easier to do than Italian meringue buttercream and there are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how to make it if you are unsure.  Also, you can add almost any flavoring to SMBC/IMBC.  I have added peanut butter, hazelnut paste, nutella, strawberry puree, all which go well with chocolate. You just have to watch the quantities. You could even mix your favorite chopped candy bar.  I like snickers.  Another thing I like to do is make a buttercream dam around the cake and then add a can or two of La Lechera dulce de leche.  It is so yummy and should be shelf stable. Hopes this helps. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%