New Cc Website Format Making Me Crazy

Lounge By Apti Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 3:14am by leah_s

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 15

OK.....I understand that Heath and Jackie are the last people who wanted glitches with the roll-out of CC 17.4   This is their business.  This pays the bills.  Glitchey website = reduced income/profit.

It's not the hundreds (thousands?) of spam posts about lovephilters^%${{{}}}@#, my concern is about the basic user-friendly aspects of a website that actively invites participation from members worldwide.

Problems:

Loss of fully typed responses because of something simple like adding or taking away a smiley gif.  Loss of fully typed responses because of backing up to a former page or a future page.  Loss of fully typed responses because another spam post in the same thread was reported.

Inability of "page" to scroll down automatically when the return button is clicked so you can see the line you are currently typing without going to the up-down bar at the side. 

Lack of an edit button.

Problems with photos (lots and lots of problems....)

Problems finding the thread on which you posted a reply.  Problems getting to that thread from your email notification. 

Inability to cut and paste.

The list goes on and on....  If/when I post on CC now, it feels like an exhausting and futile battle.     I want to participate on this forum, I want to give the "new" format a chance, but it is becoming less and less viable, day by day.

14 replies
pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 15

You're not alone, Apti. I know of several people who used to be here and have given up. I'm almost to that stage myself. The site is practically useless.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 15

I must say, I don't post here very often. I wasn't having any positive interaction long before the  CC 7.14 change. In the 7-8 + years I have been on CC,  I got next to nothing in feedback or friendship. So, I moved on long ago. Found feedback & friends on other sites almost immediately. Now, with this new version, it's worse. I have lost all my saved recipes, my blog posts, lost the few followers I had, and lost whom I was following. I don't even know how to find fellow decorators/members here. There's no way to look them up. Tried searching many ways, to no avail.  When I liked a cake, and went on the members profile page, you can't click to follow them, or make a comment on there page. I must say the old CC was easier to navigate, and easier to post. Change and progress  isn't always easy, and can be difficult, but it's necessary,   Unfortunately, I don't see the changes here as positive or progressive, or helpful. I do hope Jackie & Heath can start sorting things out soon, as many frustrated members will be leaving. 

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 15

Quote by @jchuck on 11 minutes ago

I must say the old CC was easier to navigate, and easier to post. Change and progress isn't always easy, and can be difficult, but it's necessary,   Unfortunately, I don't see the changes here as positive or progressive, or helpful. I do hope Jackie & Heath can start sorting things out soon, as many frustrated members will be leaving. 

:nodding:

I've only been back sporadically since the changeover.  I've given up trying to look for specific cakes in the gallery because there's no more category index.  Ditto following particular decorators.  I'm presuming the "clean" layout  makes it easier for smartphones and tablets.  However, you lose a ton of information in the process.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 15

I have a smart phone and a tablet...trust me, it's definitely not easier or more helpful with these devices....I'm using my tablet right now. And some days, CC just does not cooperate with it. So  some I give up. Today, CC is being nice to my tablet.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 12:38am
post #6 of 15

Once again, "New and Improved" just isn't.  At all.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 12:48am
post #7 of 15

Ditto!!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 15

I'm fairly new to cc only been on here for a couple of months so I don't think I know what the old version was like but I do find this website to be difficult at best some days. My biggest issue is posting pictures. I have to email the pictures to myself to upload them on my laptop to then load them on cc. So much rigamarole for one picture. So I rarely post pictures. And then some days the spam is so bad I don't even bother trying to read anything. I use google and type cake central at the end of my search instead of using the search bar on cc. I think this site has tons of potential and I love how there are tons of experienced bakers on here willing to share and help others along. I'll definitely will stay on cc but my interaction will be minimal as long as the site continues to function this way :( 

It seems to be easier to use from my laptop but I'm rarely on it and won't get on it just for one site. I sure hope things get better bc I really like the idea of cc!!!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 15

Perhaps we are all sad because we miss the "Old CC".  CC is such an automatic part of every day...

Looking for new threads where help can be offered to a newbie who is just discovering this exciting and challenging hobby.....

The ever-present (often challenging) threads about pricing and how to steer these dreamers into a path to reality that may stand a chance...

The photos and information about awesome cake creations that only other obsessed cake people can appreciate...

The smile of appreciation when you "see" a friendly face like Indydeby, K8Memphis, jgifford, leah_s, (and so many other fellow CC members I admire that I cannot possible mention them all)...

I miss my Old CC ...sniff....sniff... and honestly, it is going to take more than glitches (ok...LOTS of glitches) to make me stay away or stop hoping that H&J can find solutions that make them and the CC membership happy.

Here's to hope!

mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 15

Quote by @Apti on 2 minutes ago

Perhaps we are all sad because we miss the "Old CC".  CC is such an automatic part of every day...

Looking for new threads where help can be offered to a newbie who is just discovering this exciting and challenging hobby.....

The ever-present (often challenging) threads about pricing and how to steer these dreamers into a path to reality that may stand a chance...

The photos and information about awesome cake creations that only other obsessed cake people can appreciate...

The smile of appreciation when you "see" a friendly face like Indydeby, K8Memphis, jgifford, leah_s, (and so many other fellow CC members I admire that I cannot possible mention them all)...

I miss my Old CC ...sniff....sniff... and honestly, it is going to take more than glitches (ok...LOTS of glitches) to make me stay away or stop hoping that H&J can find solutions that make them and the CC membership happy.

Here's to hope!

This.   Right here. 

absolutely 

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 15

Agreed.  The new CC is not user-friendly.  Not sure which firm did the re-design,  but they are not worthy of the CC audience.

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 6 Jun 2015 , 9:35pm
post #12 of 15

Yep. Said the same myself. 

I've been using internet forums for over 20 years now, right back to the old dial up bulletin boards before the web really took off so I've used a LOT of different forums and forum software, even ran a few smaller sites with forums myself so I know the things that they can do, and this one is NOT easy to use at all.

No way to add a simple image to the posts, no way to edit a simple mistake, no being able to jump to the last read post, no way to mark all posts read etc

These are all fundamentals and basics of pretty much every forum nowadays, so why this one went live without these is beyond me.

I love this site and the forum members here. It's active, the people on here are friendly and informative with little to no drama or arguing that normally frequents internet forums. Even the off topic stuff stays friendly.

But this forum is soooo hard to use and it puts me off enough that I've started looking for other cake forums that are less hassle!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 2:16am
post #13 of 15

The "expert" who redesigned this site is one of the owners, Jackie. It is beyond me why she did not rewrite the site elsewhere, have it beta-tested, fix it, and *then* make it live. All  of my computer expert friends are laughing and groaning; I'm sad.

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 2:24am
post #14 of 15

I don't like it either. I have a Galaxy 3 & with new site I can not post photos. I emailed them over a week ago and haven't heard back :-( 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 3:14am
post #15 of 15

Quote by @pastrypet on 54 minutes ago

The "expert" who redesigned this site is one of the owners, Jackie. It is beyond me why she did not rewrite the site elsewhere, have it beta-tested, fix it, and *then* make it live. All  of my computer expert friends are laughing and groaning; I'm sad.

^this!!

And the site STILL doesn't work on a Kindle.  It's almost too much to bother with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%