Sheet Cake Help! Budget Wedding

Decorating By Samisuehoff Updated 5 Jun 2015 , 9:16pm by CatPoet

Samisuehoff Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 9

Hey guys! 

My fiancée and I are planning our wedding, and after looking over the budget, a traditional cake is just out of the question. Our local grocery store (Wegmans) has AMAZING cakes, I swear by then for every special event, but when I stopped in to ask, they said they don't do tiered cakes. 

I priced out sheet cakes, and we would save soooo much money! But we would still like the illusion of a fancy wedding cake. My question is - 

If I were to get a 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 sheet cake (12x16, 8x12, and 6x8, respectively) would I be able to stack them myself? At first I thought it would be easier to just get tiered cake stands, but apparently they don't exist for rectangular cakes. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do I just stack them? Is there a technique? Is it problematic that they'll already be frosted? All I know is that, all 3 cakes would feed 62 people for $58. Can't beat it! 

Thanks in advance! 

8 replies
Jinkies Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 9

Hi and congratulations!

If you've never stacked a cake before, I would suggest you try to find a stand you can use or go with some round cakes and use the tiered stand.  You don't need a traditional cake stand, you can make a cake stand out of anything with fabric draped over it (as long as it's sturdy to carry the weight of the cake).

If you have a lot of time before the wedding, there are many tutorials on youtube on how to stack a cake, but I would definitely do a practice cake to avoid drama on your beautiful day.

Good luck!

Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 9

I was going to suggest the same as jinkies but maybe use the great round cakes from the bakery you love instead of the not so great sheet cakes.

rsquared02 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 9

As the others mentioned, I think I would go with round cakes and put them on glass cake stands. You can find them pretty easily as goodwill, garage sales, estate sales, etc.  I'd go for different heights. I think that would look very pretty. 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 9

use two round footed cake stands under the bigger cakes - use a footed cake stand under each one if you want - double up the stands when necessary -- really nice footed cake stands are to be found at hobby lobby and pier one for easy prices 

if you wanted to be a little creative get upside down pots or milk crates etc and scrunch linens over that and set your cakes on there -- you got this

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 9

best wishes to you for your wedding and forever

Samisuehoff Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone! Great ideas! The round cakes aren't an option, they tend to cost more. We have an ice cream sundae food truck coming in addition to the cakes, so our dessert budget is spread thin! 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 9

in fact if you got a bunch of the 1/8 sheets enough to make your servings and spread those out on stands or on scrunched linens atop different heights of pots & pans underneath -- and decorate with an edible flower -- that would be actually very pretty

CatPoet Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 9

Samisuhoff,  I come from a land that didnt stack wedding cakes but used cake stands and I have been to many wedding with square cakes where they have had them displayed on different levels and made it look stunning .   Budget weddings can be amazing, mine was and I made the cake my self and it was square.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%