Should I Work For Someone Else Or For Myself?

Business By Devondelise Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 12:13am by costumeczar

Devondelise Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:09am
post #1 of 10

So here is my story. I graduated from Le Cordon Bleu in 2011 with a baking and pastry certificate. Due to bills and rent I was unable to take a job at a bakery because of the pay. I have done a couple of wedding cakes here and there(4), cupcakes, cookies, ect. I am working in customer service but I really want to get more serious about my baking/cake decorating. So my question: is it better to work for myself or work at a bakery?  Everyone is telling me I should open a bakery. Is there something wrong it I just want to work for someone else? 

9 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:36am
post #2 of 10

I just depends on what you really want. I bakery owner is also the accountant, clerk, dish washer, tax adviser, baker and decorator. If you want to learn and do all those jobs, then maybe "owner" is for you. If you want to decorate cakes, maybe working for someone else would allow more time for that work. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 7:55am
post #3 of 10

Don't listen to "everyone", they always say stuff like that!  No cost for them to tell you to do something extremely expensive and risky.  Working for someone else = reliable money.  Working for yourself = roller coaster.  I should also include Full time job + baking on the side = secure but exhausted!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 10

i've done both -- and as already posted by these fine people -- it's a blast to just full on decorate and not have any headaches -- and it's also quite a rush to do it all yourself any way you want --

one downside to working for others is doing things their way and every place i've ever worked i had to accommodate their way of doing whatever and it's a bit of a pia -- but the trade off is pretty good and you always learn something useful -- either that's the way i will continue to do it or i'll never ever do it this way again -- ha

then strictly working for yourself means you need to fight to keep your creative edge -- all the demands as have been mentioned won't wait and they wear you down but it's quite the draw to do have your own business -- decorating becomes 'and in other news'

but remember you went to culinary school not business school -- best of the best to you

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 10

something else -- you've already determined that your schooling for which you paid and will pay dearly for a long time has not provided you with the means to successs -- like if you had gone into education/real estate/engineering/medicine -- you get a degree/license that entitles you to an exclusive hiring arena that non degreed/licensed people don't have access to -- not true in culinary -- painfully so --

in fact after the pricey degree you are fully equipped to go out and make the same money as before the degree -- i know first hand on this -- big ouch -- i feel yah --

so to me the very best way to do cakes is to do it part time from home -- and by best i mean the most feasible profitable way with the greatest chance of long lasting success -- it also really helps if you or your partner in life has a job that pays the bills and your cake income is secondary -- that way it can still be fun and you can retain your creativity and stay as far away from burn out and bitterness as possible and continue with a measure of success and happiness in the culinary field --

part time is better because creative juices are not like niagara falls -- more like a stop/start lava flow  or tapping maple syrup --they need time to replenish -- you need to be master of your course and being able to control the time is key -- if you have to do more and more cakes to stay afloat/pay bills rather than do a handful when you want to then it's easy to get bogged down --

i said all that because it seems you are more of a dreamer (in a good way) than a business pro and that's how you can stay that way --

best of the best of the best of all things to you

johnson6ofus Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 10

Business pro stuff can be learned... but do you want to? THAT is the question... IMHO

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 10

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 4 minutes ago

Business pro stuff can be learned... but do you want to? THAT is the question... IMHO

exactly do you want to be a business person or a cake decorator

Devondelise Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all for of your responses. One of the most difficult things about doing cakes part-time with a full time job is that I get burnt out. I have a lot to think about. Thanks again all!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 10

don't know if you did or not but lots of people do not manage their time well and sacrifice their sleep for a cake -- can't do that -- and lecordon blue doesn't teach speed so working for your local grocery store or Walmart is a great piece of education you can't hardly get anywhere else --

one of the coolest things about cakes is that you can do one anytime you want and feel  better than great about it

costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:13am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 1 day ago

This is 100% right, Don't open a business before you know how to run a business, which has nothing to do the baking. ESPECIALLY don't open a stand-alone shop without any business experience. That's a sure way to end up burned out and in debt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%