Help, Baking Now!

Baking By AmberDSouthard Updated 5 Jun 2015 , 1:50am by AmberDSouthard

AmberDSouthard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberDSouthard Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 6
I am currently baking a 16 x 16 x 3 cake and the recommended time is 55 mins at 325. Well it has been an hour and my cake is still pretty much raw still. I used 4 box cakes plus 4 cups sugar, 4c flour, 12 eggs, 1 an 1/2 cups cocoa powder, 2 cups oil, 2 table vanilla, 3 tsp salt and 4 and 1/2 cups water. What could be the issue?
5 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 12:07am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like too much batter.   Is it spilling over the edges?   If not then keep baking at ten minute intervals.   Otherwise you might need to try again with less batter and use baking cores.

MamaChrisNow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaChrisNow Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6

I would just let it go until the toothpick/cake taster comes out clean. The outside of the cake will get dark, but that can be trimmed and most of the cake will be perfectly fine. Next time for that size cake you might want to try metal "V" cores. But i would say it'll be close to twice the baking time to get a dry cake tester. 

AmberDSouthard Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 1:28am
post #4 of 6

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I did use cores and baking strips. Ended up taking about an hour and a half but came out great! I am new to this and the lady at the cake supply store told me 325 for 50-55 mins! I knew that didn't sound right :/ Thank you guys for your help :)

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 1:30am
post #5 of 6

So glad it worked for you!   Yes, 325 takes longer but is the right temp to use for very large cakes like that.

AmberDSouthard Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

Thanks! I am sure I will be posting many more questions in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%