Cake Sank In The Middle

Baking By snixsnaxshax Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 5:20pm by CoinUK

snixsnaxshax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snixsnaxshax Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 3

Last weekend I was baking a lemon cake for a graduation party.  I used the lemon cake recipe from Wilton's. I used a 9X13 cake pan. I baked it for 45 mins. The top got really brown and the edges were getting really dark almost burnt. The middle however took forever to bake. Finally it was done but when It cooled it sank in the middle.. I let it cool. and froze it because I was going to tort it and fill it with blueberry filling and decorate it the next day. I took it out. The freezer and unwrapped it and the cake broke down the middle. I have never had this happen before. I ended up finding another recipe and had to make another cake. The Wilton batter was really like almost like a pound cake.  Any idea why the cake sank in the middle. Should I have turned the heat down and baked it longer? The oven was set at 350 like the recipes called for.

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 3

It might be that your oven bakes somewhat hotter than you think. Every oven bakes differently, so recipe temps are only a guideline. I suggest you drop the temp by 25 degrees for other cakes and see how they turn out.

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 3

Agreed about the over temperature. I bought an oven thermometer and tested my ovens, both of them were out by a good 25 degrees to low so my cakes took a lot longer to cook properly.

Only cost me a fiver on Amazon, worth every penny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%