Help Using Petal Dust

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 12:48am by Frank68

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 8

Hey Guys....I am going to be using silver petal dust to paint some snowflakes made of fondant. I have not used petal dust before. Do I just paint it lightly with a dry brush or do I need to have the fondant wet for it to stick ?? Any advice on how to use this. ?? Thanks

7 replies
mccantsbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccantsbakes Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 8

I just did this last week.   I used a little vodka to thin out the dust.   I painted them and they looked like crap.   Too streaky.   

I found them to be so much cuter just dry dusted with pearl dust to achieve a sparkle.    I steamed them after to make the dust stick. 

Try both ways to see the difference, you may have better luck with painting them. (I may have too had I been patient enough to add a second coat.....but I wasn't feeling them at all painted silver)

mccantsbakes Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 8

I just did this last week.   I used a little vodka to thin out the dust.   I painted them and they looked like crap.   Too streaky.   

I found them to be so much cuter just dry dusted with pearl dust to achieve a sparkle.    I steamed them after to make the dust stick. 

Try both ways to see the difference, you may have better luck with painting them. (I may have too had I been patient enough to add a second coat.....but I wasn't feeling them at all painted silver)

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 8

To prevent streaks it helps to color you fondant gray.

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips! 

mccantsbakes Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 8

Quote by @Lfredden on 3 hours ago

To prevent streaks it helps to color you fondant gray.

Thank you!!!!!!!   I will try that also!

xoxo

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:14am
post #7 of 8

And I think someone posted that lemon extract somehow worked better than vodka...?

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:48am
post #8 of 8

I typically airbrush gold and silver items beforehand then apply the dust dry. I find that using a flat firm brush helps me apply the silver/gold better. Lightly steam right after and it should look perfect. If I want some extra shine then I hit it with spray confectioner's glaze. The 50th anniversary cake in my profile was done this way (in gold). 

Frank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%