My Cake Business On Hold

Business By charlottem1968 Updated 5 Jun 2015 , 1:24pm by bakeforfun21

charlottem1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlottem1968 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 5

I am in North Carolina. I went through all of the steps and got a legally inspected bakery. I was having to pay rent on that space. I have decided to build my own small space at home and when it is competed, I will have it inspected again. I moved out of the rented space to use that money toward the construction. I still have my bakery page up on facebook and I am receiving requests for cakes. I have noted on my page that I am in the process of building a new bakery. Can I fill the orders for cakes from my home as long as I don't charge for them? Some people are insisting that they give me something for them, but I am not putting a price on these cakes. I look at it as an opportunity to build my skills while my bakery is under construction. Thanks for your advice.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 5

just depends on if it is legal to do this according to your local regulations - you need to check locally for the answer

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 5

I would recommend against it. If these are total strangers, and for some reason someone is dissatisfied, there is a risk it may not work out in your favor, regardless if you charged a fee or collected a donation. You may want to evaluate if it is worth the risk.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 5

Speaking from a similar situation we only bake for friends and family. As much as we are asked and sometimes even begged to do cakes for people we don't know we chose not to for everyone's best interest. When someone asks us to do a cake as much as I want to I always remember our future in baking is worth more than doing one cake now.  We do giveaways on our facebook page but always pick people we know to win ( we do it randomly still) that way we aren't baking for strangers  but still getting our product tasted by others and a chance to practice. Of course we would like to do cakes (or anything else we make) all the time to build our skills but one bad deal could ruin it all for us so we take what opportunities we get and really pour ourselves into them. Also when someone contacts us about a cake that we don't know instead of telling them sorry I can't bake for people we don't know I just say "sorry we are unable to do a cake for you we are already full that weekend". That way they will check back again with you and not be completely put off.  I told our local health department how I handled those situations and she was totally fine with it and understood why we wanted to say that. It's your choice but for us baking for only people we know is the right choice for us. 

It's easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble :)  

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 5

I had not considered that. This is a good idea for me. I have people asking me about cakes but I don't think I have the skill to do cakes for people outside the family. Next time, I will say this. 

Quote by @Webake2gether on 28 minutes ago

Speaking from a similar situation we only bake for friends and family. As much as we are asked and sometimes even begged to do cakes for people we don't know we chose not to for everyone's best interest. When someone asks us to do a cake as much as I want to I always remember our future in baking is worth more than doing one cake now.  We do giveaways on our facebook page but always pick people we know to win ( we do it randomly still) that way we aren't baking for strangers  but still getting our product tasted by others and a chance to practice. Of course we would like to do cakes (or anything else we make) all the time to build our skills but one bad deal could ruin it all for us so we take what opportunities we get and really pour ourselves into them. Also when someone contacts us about a cake that we don't know instead of telling them sorry I can't bake for people we don't know I just say "sorry we are unable to do a cake for you we are already full that weekend". That way they will check back again with you and not be completely put off.  I told our local health department how I handled those situations and she was totally fine with it and understood why we wanted to say that. It's your choice but for us baking for only people we know is the right choice for us. 

It's easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble :)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%