Do You Sell Both Cakes And Cookies?

Business By 2kats Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 2:23pm by Cinnabear14

2kats Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 3:06am
post #1 of 11

I am a licensed home baker, no other employees, just me. Am I crazy to offer both cakes and cookies?  Would it be odd to have a cake business and not do cookies?  

Honestly, I don't enjoy making cookies at all. I would much rather make cakes. I have been in business 3 years and have about 8-10 cake orders per week. When people order cookies it seems to throw off my whole schedule. They take so long to make.  

I feel like I have enough cake orders that I don't need to offer cookies, too, but I get a lot of orders for cookies and I feel like after 3 years it would be hard to just stop offering them.  

Advice?  What do you other home bakers offer?

10 replies
SweetShop5 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 3:37am
post #2 of 11

If you don't enjoy making them and it ruins your schedule, then I wouldn't offer them. 8-10 cakes per week for one person is a lot, so thats really good! Also, like you mentioned, if you feel comfortable with all the cake orders you get, you should let it be the way it is :)

As for me, we're only 2 people and its going to remain that way. We offer cakes, cookies, cake pops, cupcakes and chocolate covered oreos. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 5:56am
post #3 of 11

I offer cookies as well - see my avatar - but they are sooo time consuming I feel like it's hard to get paid what they're worth.  If you have that many cake orders by all means let the cookies go.  Let a baker who loves making cookies have the business!

Singerssoul Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:40am
post #4 of 11

If you feel you must offer cookies to your customers, you might consider offering non-decorated versions only.  It would take pressure off fancy decorated cookies along with your cakes.

Frank68 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 12:46am
post #5 of 11

I prefer not to do them myself but once in a while I get asked to do a complete spread (cake, cookies, cake pops and cupcakes). I have one coming up in a month with a Breakfast at Tiffany's theme and it's already stressing me out :) 

Frank

TicTac521 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 2:54am
post #6 of 11

Are you allowed to have employees? Perhaps hire someone to do the cookie part of your business 

mccantsbakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 4:52am
post #7 of 11

I make cookies for my kids and for gifts for the holiday.    That's it. 

I find that while I *want* to be super good at sugar cookies, I am not.   They always look like my 7 year old did them......which just baffles me as I am a functional cake decorator.   I want to like making them, but find that mid project I swear at them more than enjoy them.   (And who wants to buy a verbally abused gingerbread man?)

My cookies taste incredible....but look a hot mess with any decoration.  Lol. 

Short answer is NO...I don't sell them.  

LilleKageHus Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 7:34am
post #8 of 11

Hi 2kats :)

As others have said, if you don't enjoy making them probably best to stick to your thriving cake business. I do have a suggestion if it's possible for you - perhaps there is someone who lives near you who does cookies and if you have a request for cookies you can suggest the client uses them and collaborate on colour schemes/themes together for the client? I have seen a few people who seem to be doing this very successfully by working together for big events - someone does the cake, another cake pops, another cookies etc.

Just a thought :) Also, it can also help you get more business for your cakes if the person doing cookies is likewise suggesting you for any cake enquiries they get :)

Marie

2kats Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 11

Quote by @mccantsbakes on 8 hours ago

I make cookies for my kids and for gifts for the holiday.    That's it. 

I find that while I *want* to be super good at sugar cookies, I am not.   They always look like my 7 year old did them......which just baffles me as I am a functional cake decorator.   I want to like making them, but find that mid project I swear at them more than enjoy them.   (And who wants to buy a verbally abused gingerbread man?)

My cookies taste incredible....but look a hot mess with any decoration.  Lol. 

Short answer is NO...I don't sell them.  

These are my thoughts exactly!!  I am just OK at cookies and want to scream at them every time I make them.  Unfortunately, I live in a small town so there aren't really many other options and no cookie people.  My other thought was to really raise my prices and require a minimum order of 4 dozen or something so at least it is worth my time. 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 1:44pm
post #10 of 11

agreed -- sell the cakes -- eat the cookies

(big grin)

Cinnabear14 Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 11

That's funny, I started only wanting to sell cupcakes, but people started ordering cookies and cakes!!!! Cakes are so much stress, I would rather just do cookies, lol. Although I did have a few really good cakes (avatar, ;) ) but you need to do what your comfort level dictates. I would love to go into business with you. You can do the cakes and I would LOVE to do the cookies lol....Clearly you have a great business going. That's a lot of cakes!!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%