Sugar Syrup, Cupcakes And Buttercream Query

Baking By Brookebakes Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 6:10am by Brookebakes

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 4:23am
post #1 of 6

I have an order for 200 cupcakes coming up, which I will make from scratch. I plan to make them 1 - 2 weeks before order day and freeze them, in well-sealed, air-tight Tupperware or similar.

Wondering if brushing them with sugar syrup when cooled, before freezing, will help keep them more moist? - They will be topped with just a buttercream swirl.

Also, if I take them out of the freezer and start to ice them before defrosted, will this effect appearance, "sogginess" or taste etc?

Thanks!

5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 5:39am
post #2 of 6

I freeze my cupcakes without brushing them with syrup. They are always moist. Just make sure you seal the containers well! Cupcakes really don't take long to defrost. I would wait till they have thawed before putting bc on. You don't want condensation spoiling the liners or making the cupcakes soggy.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 1:45am
post #3 of 6

If it is just a buttercream swirl, I would ice them and freeze them iced... then you just have to take them out for delivery and they will be thawed by the time you arrive at the venue...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 7:56am
post #4 of 6

Good point. But that requires lots of space as you can't stag them like unfrosted cupcakes...

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 10:41am
post #5 of 6

I didn't think about that... I have a stand up freezer (as opposed to a chest freezer) and there is always plenty of space in it for me to stash wrapped containers of cupcakes...

As to the simple syrup or not... I have done both, frozen with syrup and frozen without syrup and never really noticed much of a difference in moistness... I usually only use a simple syrup if it is to add another flavor onto the cake...

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 6:10am
post #6 of 6

Thank you!

I think I"ll do a trial of freezing some, iced, and see how they go when defrosted.

I like the idea of freezing already iced, so that delivery day isn't as crazy! But I will be storing many of them in shallow Tupperware, so won't be able to ice them all.

Experimentation coming up! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%