Fondant Help Needed!

Decorating By cakesbykelsey3 Updated 2 Jun 2015 , 2:46pm by MinaBakes

cakesbykelsey3 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 1:38am
post #1 of 3

Does anyone know how to get smooth fondant?  Fondant is expensive so I always make my own marshmallow fondant.  I have made all of my cakes with it mainly because it tastes so good.  However, it's always too soft and never holds its shape, but it cracks and seems dry when I cover my cakes..  Does anyone know why or of a good fondant recipe that doesn't do this?

2 replies
julia1812 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 5:48am
post #2 of 3

If it's too soft add more (sift!) icing sugar or a bit of corn starch and use butter or shortening while kneading your fondant. Remember to rest it a while before you use it. As it cools down it will stiffen up. So even if you feel it is too soft just wait some time. Then determine the consistency.  It's always a bit of a balance act between mmf being too soft when microwaved or too hard when too cold.

MinaBakes Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with Julia. But if it's dry when you apply it and you get tears or elephant ears, you may have added too much cornstarch or powder sugar. The Mat really helped me with this issue. It was easier to handle the fondant when I didn't have to use my hand to move it around while rolling. You also don't need to use cornstarch or powdered sugar when rolling so it won't dry out. It's also covered the whole time, so again, it won't dry out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%