Another Pricing Question

Business By Sweet_Treatz Updated 2 Jun 2015 , 3:42pm by littlemo12

Sweet_Treatz Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 5

Ok this is my biggest dilemma.....I have a set prices for my sheet cakes 1/4 =$40 1/2= $50 and. Full sheet =$80

And an additional $15 for custom design

But my tier cakes I charge $4 per slice

But how much do I charge for fake cakes....I have a pending order ...the customer wants a 3 tier cake to feed only 20-30 people....so I would need to use fake cake I assume.help please she's waiting on a response from me

4 replies
Jinkies Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 5

I have not done fake cakes.  But I would definitely charge for the dummy and your time and materials covering it.  Fake tiers are still a lot of work and can be more difficult to fondant than a real cake.

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

I charge about 80% of the cost of a real cake for dummy tiers. So If you'd normally charge $100 for a tier, that tier done in styrofoam would be $80. There's a cost to the styrofoam dummy itself, and it takes as long to decorate a fake tier as it does to decorate a real one, so the only savings on your part would be the baking and assembling time and some of the cost of the ingredients. People think that if it's a fake tier it should be free, but it's basically the same as a real tier, just a bit less effort of mixing the batter.

Apti Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 7:22am
post #4 of 5

Quote by @Sweet_Treatz on 8 hours ago

my tier cakes I charge $4 per slice

I have a pending order ...the customer wants a 3 tier cake to feed only 20-30 people....so I would need to use fake cake I assume.help please she's waiting on a response from me

Your customer wants all the WOW!  ZIPPIDY DO DAH!  IN YOUR FACE, BABY!!!!! for a party, but only wants to pay $40-$50 which is what you charge for your sheet cakes.  Of course she's waiting for a response....she wants it to look like she paid $500.   Uh....no....

The customer most likely has no idea that "fake cake" costs nearly as much as real cake.  Seriously, who would?  You should politely and professionally explain that it will take you the same amount of skill, artistry, hours of work, and most important, nearly the same cost, to achieve a "fake cake" as it would to make a real 3 tier cake.  

I would suggest that you be prepared with a realistic ballpark amount for a small 3 tier cake with xxx amount of servings at $4 per serving for a total of $xxx.  Then have a ballpark amount for a 1/4 or 1/2 sheet. 

littlemo12 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 5

The "fake" cake can be little cheaper than a real cake, or not. I explain to the bride that the cost of the wedding cake is in my time put into building and designing their cake .... a dummy cake might knock the price down by 10 or 20 dollars, but I still need the same amount of icing and the time to decorate it is still the same as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%