How Much Do I Charge For Set Up A Sweet Table?

Business By Frau_Schmidt15 Updated 7 Jun 2015 , 10:57pm by Frau_Schmidt15

Frau_Schmidt15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frau_Schmidt15 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,

I just started my home based business and I do have a customer who wants to order a sweet table :) what makes me really happy. The only sweet table I made before was for a friend (see picture below), so I didn´t charge her anything for the set up and cake stand etc. ....Is it better to charge per hour or per set up? Should I ask for a rental fee for the cake stands and co - and how much should this be? Ahhh I have so many questions...does anyone of you have experience with this - I really would appreciate some help!

sweet table example:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3342171/sweet-table

14 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 15

I don't usually charge for set up, but for a huge sweet table like that I would. I always charge rental fee of 15$ for a stand. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 15

There is a woman where I live that does Sweet tables, and she charges by through hour. X amount for 3 hours, and then adds on for each additional hour up to 5 hours Max I believe. She also charges for delivery. I will find her pricing information. I have never done a table, but it seems like ALOT of work and time and you should definitely be compensated accordingly. Your table is beautiful!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 15

And Yes, charge for rental of the stand so that if it gets broken, it can be replaced. I have a stand that I paid good money for, so my deposit amount covers the cost of replacing the stand if it is damaged. If they return it on time and in good condition, they get a portion of that deposit back.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 12:42am
post #5 of 15

Frau Schmidt, please don't take this the wrong way. . .

This is your business and you don't have your prices worked out already?  You're not ready to open, much less take orders.

Please, please, please step back and get your prices in order.  Make sure you have your contract lined out that details all prices, deposits, terms and conditions. You can't take orders then ask others how you need to handle them and expect your business to do well.  

I'm not trying to be snotty or discourage you.  We see so many newbies on here who haven't taken the time to do their homework and get things in order properly and we can see that they're doomed from the get-go.  If you don't take care of your business, you won't have a business to take care of.

No one can do this for you.  You need to have these details already figured out so you can present a competent, professional image to your customers.  

I can't advise you on what to charge and neither can anyone else.  This is something you have to work out depending on your costs and expenses and what will work for your business. No, it's not fun but it's very necessary.

I wish you all the best. 

Frau_Schmidt15 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 3:52am
post #6 of 15

thank you so much for all your replies, it helped me a lot!

dear jgifford I see the point what you´re talking about but I thought here is the right place to ask questions about business, or isn´t it? ;-)

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 5:04am
post #7 of 15

Stand rentals- 1/3 of the cost of the item as rental fee PLUS full item value as deposit.  So, a $50 stand rents for $15 PLUS a $50 deposit. That way, if a drunk falls on the table, you can replace everything... or an unsupervised kid. This is ALL serveware you provide--- jars, dishes, plates, stands, pedestals, etc.

Set up should be "included" as a service with the purchase of the sweets and stand rentals. But they should pay for the linens (or rental) and any additional decor items.

You should charge an hourly rate to "serve" and clean up, OR they can return all rentals to you (or forfeit the deposits). 

Be sure to add in (for a fee)  "to go" containers--- baggies, boxes, ribbons, etc.

A million threads on the pricing on the actual sweets, just be sure you do the math and count all the materials to be sure you actually get paid for your services.

Last, CONTRACT, CONTRACT, CONTRACT. All agreements in writing. :)

GL!

Frau_Schmidt15 Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks johnson6ofus, this sounds good! My pricing for the sweets is done and good calculated, I never thought about creating sweet tables until they made a rquest, so I had to think about rentals and deposit and so. All your answers give me a good idea! Thanks

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2015 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 15

You're welcome. 

In rereading, I will clarify-

-"free set up" should be limited in miles. So "venue within 10 miles including, and extra distance charged at $1/ mile" or something like that.

- be sure to search on here stand rental contracts, so they have a clear deadline of when it needs to be back to you (if they are not paying your "serving" fee)

Highly recommend a server as people can destroy this table quickly--- drunks, kids and just plain rude people. So a server guarantees tongs are used and limits the "greedy grabby" of 15 items. 

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 15

I charge $250 up to 200 guests to set up, clean up, rent of the stand, platters.. basic tag name for each desserts and the liner!

Frau_Schmidt15 Posted 5 Jun 2015 , 8:50pm
post #11 of 15

thanks TheItalianBaker - it´s another way to concider - you all were really helpful!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 12:04am
post #12 of 15

Quote by @TheItalianBaker on 3 days ago

I charge $250 up to 200 guests to set up, clean up, rent of the stand, platters.. basic tag name for each desserts and the liner!

I assume that's in addition to the cost of the desserts?

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 15

Of course..

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 15

Quote by @TheItalianBaker on 5 hours ago

Of course..

I figured, just wanted to clarify for the next newbie who came along and used that as the basis for how much to charge for the whole thing ;)

Frau_Schmidt15 Posted 7 Jun 2015 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 15

oh yes costumeczar, I was looking for some advice regarding the rentals not for my cake/pastries prizes - good to clarify that! As a newbie it was interesting how different the people give you advice and I had a few more messages in my inbox, they were very helpful as well - I learned a lot and have definitely a way to calculate a good rental prize for the sweet table. :) thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%